Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My first trip for 2021/22 trout season.  (Read 200 times)

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2403
  • -Receive: 980
  • Liked: 9
  • Referrals: 2
My first trip for 2021/22 trout season.
« on: August 27, 2021, 09:46:25 am »
Nearly three weeks after the trout season my back has finally improved enough for me to have hopped back in a river today and it felt great to be back in one too. With the larger rivers still running high I headed to one of my favorite small tannin streams for starters, even this stream was running around 8'' higher than I liked.
Anyway, to cut a long story short it was a reasonably good spin session, eleven hits, six hookups with just the four browns caught & released. The water temp is still a very low 4 degrees at the moment and the trout were a little slow on the take, other words they weren't all that aggressive when they hit the spinner. I tried out a new idea of mine today as well, instead of the anti kink setup I made added a small ball bearing roller swivel to the main line & added a small snap to it. It worked a treat, no line twist at all and a much better setup than having the added weight of the anti kink 16-20 inches up the line from the spinner. Not that I had any trouble with the anti kink as it did a great job stopping line twist in all the years I've used it. I spent two hours in the stream today without a problem, I pulled up quite good. All going well on Friday after my last daily treatment at the medical center (at 10:00 am) I'll be off for another spin session..

cheers
Adrian

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 623
  • -Receive: 533
  • Liked: 0
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 03:04:07 pm »
Good to see you finally get on the water, old mate - and take a few fish in the process!  Nice session!

That business with lots of follows, taps and misses, etc, I think must be because they are a bit half-hearted in the very cold water.  I had similar experience in a river down here last week - swollen stream, very cold with snow melt, and could only manage a few casts here and there from the bank (too much water to wade), but got heaps of follows and taps, with just a couple hooked and landed.

The mepps white miller - I can see the white body in a couple of your photos, but can't quite tell: is the blade also white?

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2403
  • -Receive: 980
  • Liked: 9
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 05:03:46 pm »
Thanks Paul, it was great to finally get back in the water.. As for the water temp with it sitting on 4 degrees it was very cold and like you I know that's why the trout were like that..

It's always hard to get them stimulated into taking a lure when it's so cold.. yes, there was also a lot of snow melt on the Great Western Tiers too..

The White Miller blade is white as well.. I went back to another stretch of water today for an hour, same thing happened with the trout, I did manage to catch one just before calling it a day.

The water today had dropped to 3 degrees, my legs & feet were aching with the cold.. it was nice to get back to the car and drive home with the heater on..

I'm giving it a rest on the weekend as I don't want to over do it and upset the lower back and go down hill again..

cheers
Adrian..

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
A Mepps White Miller Bug spinner.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 05:08:43 pm by meppstas »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal