Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Devonport Tuna  (Read 10344 times)

timmy!

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 70
  • Liked: 2
  • Referrals: 0
Devonport Tuna
« on: May 20, 2021, 09:11:02 pm »
This a report i copied from facebook by Glen Saltmarsh who i was lucky enough to be onboard his boat with last Sunday....

So thought I'd give a quick spill on the barrel from Sunday, I had originally called it too windy when I woke up early Sunday morning, but after another hours sleep, the wind had dropped to 30km an hour which I was happy to put up with.
So Tim and I headed out to 30 meters and started seeing a lot of bait on the sounder and the water had turned a real inviting blue colour so I decided this was a good enough area to start, and I was sick of getting wet from the salt spray from the stiff westerly 😂. After getting out to 42 meters the baitballs had got very thick and a lot of dolphins come around the boat, a short time later a mark come across the sounder 20 meters down that I showed to Tim and said that looks like a tuna, at this point my hopes had got reasonably high 😅, within a couple of minutes after seeing the mark on sounder my long corner which was a tiagra 50w loaded with 24kg screamed to life, I couldn't believe it we had found another tuna out of Devonport 😍 Tim and I  swapped the rod between us 3 times each making it a lot easier to handle. This was Tim's first go at using a 50w reel and the first tuna he'd ever fought he did a excellent job.
The fight lasted roughly 1.5 hrs with us hooking it about 10am, it took the same lure as I caught my one on last year a blue lumo meridian.
The fish's stomach contents consisted of what looked like about about 30 pilchards, so I would be basing my lure colours on that, last year we lost one on a redbait colour and another on a pilchard halco.
Hopefully there's something in amongst that dribble that helps you find one of these magnificent fish off Devonport
Cheers Glen.

Dan

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 93
  • Liked: 1
Devonport Tuna
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 04:10:55 pm »
Nice. I swear those red bait patterns either in a hardbody or skirt are a must have in any tuna fisherman's arsenal. Seen and heard of soo many captures over the years on that pattern. Especially down south. 

timmy!

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Devonport Tuna
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 10:19:37 pm »
Certainly can't go wrong with a redbait pattern in your spread👌

timmy!

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Devonport Tuna
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2021, 04:12:15 pm »
Another 100kg Tuna caught off Devonport today on a redbait pattern skirt

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 628
  • -Receive: 535
  • Liked: 0
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
Devonport Tuna
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2021, 09:38:31 am »
Hi Tim and thanks for the report.  (I didn't pick it up earlier because I've been without any internet for three days - mice chewed up the cable in the roof, it turns out)

Pretty remarkable stuff: who ever would have thought to find those big beasties along the north coast?

It's remarkable what keeps turning up nowadays, with the ocean warming, eh?

timmy!

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Devonport Tuna
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2021, 07:55:55 pm »
Had mice do the same thing at my old work place,can be a pain to find too  censored1
Glen came across a school 3 years ago while flathead fishing out wide off Devonport,only had the small gear with him,hooked up on 2 rods and got spooled on both.. Nobody believed him that they were tuna so he was determined to catch one out here to prove the doubters wrong.. He has managed to find 3 over the 100kg mark so far and been onboard a couple of other boats that have hooked up but lost them.. Just goes to show anything is possible if your willing to put in the effort😊

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 628
  • -Receive: 535
  • Liked: 0
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
Devonport Tuna
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2021, 07:54:21 am »
Amen to that.  No-one would have imagined, a few years ago, that broadbill swordfish would be a possibility off southern Tasmania, but one or two notables figured they'd be worth sussing out - and now we have a recognised fishery that anglers are coming from interstate (and I guess if it weren't for the closed borders, would quite likely be coming from overseas) to experience. As you say, we don't know what might be possible unless we imagine it, then put in the effort to find out.

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2408
  • -Receive: 982
  • Liked: 9
  • Referrals: 2
Devonport Tuna
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2021, 02:00:52 pm »
That was certainly a gem of a fish Timmy, well done mate.. bit of a gut buster too , I doubt I'd have the strength now days to last that long battling one of that size.
A well deserved fish for sure..  gonefishing1

cheers
Adrian

timmy!

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Devonport Tuna
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2021, 02:55:19 pm »
Thanks Adrian, they are a very strong fish,wouldn't be too bad to fight with a harness so you could at least give the arms a bit of a rest 😂 Another Tuna landed today that went 119kg cleaned so they are still about

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Devonport Tuna
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2021, 12:37:34 pm »
Thanks Adrian, they are a very strong fish,wouldn't be too bad to fight with a harness so you could at least give the arms a bit of a rest 😂 Another Tuna landed today that went 119kg cleaned so they are still about

Good on'ya Timmy, solid fish 119 kg cleaned another big bugger for sure..

cheers
Adrian..

Dan

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 93
  • Liked: 1
Devonport Tuna
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2021, 06:45:06 pm »
Been hearing news/rumors of big fish up that way again in the last few says. Anyone else heard anything?

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Devonport Tuna
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2021, 03:26:11 pm »
I haven't heard or seen any reports of tuna being caught yet Dan, doesn't mean to say they haven't been caught though..

cheers
Adrian..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal