Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mercury Passage 18th July  (Read 951 times)

proka

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 650
  • -Receive: 409
  • Liked: 1
  • Referrals: 19
    • Fishing Boating Tasmania
Mercury Passage 18th July
« on: July 24, 2021, 11:11:43 am »
Spent a few hours hunting flatties in the passage last weekend. Canít say they were jumping on the hooks but thereís plenty about if youíre patient. Didnít have to throw many back. Nearly everything was 340 - 400mm. Thereís usually that many small ones about youíre struggling for a size fish.

Drifted in and out of 9 - 16m west to east below the lease in the middle of the passage just above Lachlan Is.

Good luck to anyone else whoís heading out thumbsup1

proka
What has 4,882km's of coastline? think1

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2408
  • -Receive: 982
  • Liked: 9
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 10:53:35 am »
Nice job, beer battered flathead... Yummmmmm!!!

cheers
Adrian

zappy

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 13
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 06:08:50 pm »
doesnt get much better than a feed of fresh flattys  thumbsup1 . I had a trip a couple of weeks ago trolling for Tuna down that way trolled the eastern side of Maria and back again , drew a blank on that score but pulled up on the northern tip of the island on a whim realy having never fished the area before . Depth of about 40 meters and straight into some good sized flatty a few smalls went back before drifting into a patch of Gurnards and pulling up stumps with a long drive home but without a measuring stick on the new boat I can only guess they were fish in the 400 mark reminiscent of the Schouten passage years ago  happydance1

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 628
  • -Receive: 535
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 04:20:15 pm »
Isn't it great to go fishing in winter? - Almost no-one else about, competing for the fish, and to my mind, flatties (and other fish) from colder winter waters tend to be firmer-textured, and taste sweeter than in the hotter weather. 

zappy

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 04:55:07 pm »
Well said isnt it just awesome to have a whole ocean to yourself yak1 and cold water fish are the best  goodjob1

proka

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 07:35:29 pm »
doesnt get much better than a feed of fresh flattys  thumbsup1 . I had a trip a couple of weeks ago trolling for Tuna down that way trolled the eastern side of Maria and back again , drew a blank on that score but pulled up on the northern tip of the island on a whim realy having never fished the area before . Depth of about 40 meters and straight into some good sized flatty a few smalls went back before drifting into a patch of Gurnards and pulling up stumps with a long drive home but without a measuring stick on the new boat I can only guess they were fish in the 400 mark reminiscent of the Schouten passage years ago  happydance1

Funny you say that zappy. We ran lures out the back of Maria up and down to Mistaken about 4 weeks ago. No bait, no birds, nothing so pulled the pin and ran up to Schouten. Copped a bit of a flogging on the way up but ok behind the island for a couple more hours. Dropped the lures back in at the Hen & Chicks after finding a bit of bait. Trolled a couple kmís short of Lemon Rock all for nothing. Ran back thru the passage and got a good feed of flatties on the western end. An hour or so there and the run home. Copped a flogging about 1/2 way back when the westerly came in a bit stronger than anticipated. 168km on the water that day!

Gotta love a winter fish cool1

proka

« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 07:43:00 pm by proka »

stevel

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 07:32:45 pm »
Ventured out from triabunna yesterday, only one at the ramp 😀
Headed north towards Lords Bluff trying to keep out of the wind, ok for a while. Managed to get a feed of flatties before too windy and cold - retreated back to shore for lunch.
Nice to be out on the water
Steve

proka

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 07:40:35 pm »
Bloody keen Steve. We took the dog for a walk along Rehban yesterday morning and not even I could be tempted to go fishing with the 15+ knots of west/north westerly grin1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal