Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: surprise in Port Esperance  (Read 538 times)

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 623
  • -Receive: 533
  • Liked: 0
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
surprise in Port Esperance
« on: August 10, 2021, 03:08:51 pm »
Just for a change I went salt-water this morning.  Have just swapped the prop on my little 9.9hp Yamaha in hope of getting boat up on the plane a bit better, and needed to test it out.  Also hoping the flatter pitch prop would reduce my idle trolling speed a bit.  So I headed down to Dover.  Forecast for a lot of northerly wind, so I opted to tuck back into the corner of the Esperance narrows, where it's sheltered.  Checked out the planing business - slight improvement, but not enough.  Checked out the troll speed - excellent!

While trolling I picked up a couple of decent flatties, and then woo - heavy load on a line.  Not much fight until I got fish close to the boat, then it went off!  What the hell's this? I asked myself.  Finally netted guess what? - a 40cm tailor!

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Now, I know they've been increasingly common around southern waters the past couple of years - but that far south; still winter; water temp 8.5 deg C?  Bit of a surprise!  Of course I have reported it to Redmap.  And of course, we're having nice fresh tailor for dinner tonight!

cal123

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 11:51:21 am »
Wow that's a good sized tailor. I'm yet to catch one but I'm hearing more and more reports of them throughout the Derwent, and now further South! Thanks for sharing.

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 623
  • -Receive: 533
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 12:37:12 pm »
Yes, I thought it was a decent fish, and the Redmap guys were most interested given it was so far south and in such relatively cold water.

Also, I can report now that it was delicious - firm texture and moist, sweet flesh.  I've said it elsewhere - I reckon winter fish are the nicest!

proka

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 650
  • -Receive: 409
  • Liked: 1
  • Referrals: 19
    • Fishing Boating Tasmania
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2021, 08:20:12 pm »
Very early for a Tailor particularly with though water temps. Bloody goodjob1 though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What has 4,882km's of coastline? think1

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal