Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Finally nailed a barrel  (Read 177 times)

rogun

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 61
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 1
Finally nailed a barrel
« on: April 01, 2021, 12:09:00 pm »
Hi to all,

I finally managed my PB on Southern Bluefin Tuna this week,
I put in at Eagle Hawk Neck at around 7am, ventured toward the Hippolyte Rocks trolling all the way at seven knots,
just before arriving at the Hippolyte Rocks two of the four rods that I was running screamed with what seemed to be fairly reasonable fish,
I backed off the throttle and grabbed the rod that appeared to be loosing the most line and wouldnt you know it, the hook pulled after approximately
three to four minutes.
I grabbed the second rod and it was still loaded up with another decent fish only to loose that one after around 45 minutes.

I trolled around the rock for around an hour without another strike then set off on the troll down to Tasman Island.
When I reached Tasman and trolled for an hour or so, all was quiet so I pulled the rods and changed all of my lures over to the smallest that I had with me, about 6 inches long,
Pakula lures of varying colors.

No sooner than resetting my rods, and was placing my last rod into the rod holder with my chosen lures, when I looked up to check my distance from the boat with the lure
and its placement on the pressure wave, a Tuna busted up and I was on.

I thought that this was a good fish and made a fools estimate, guessing around 40-50kg.

Well after the first hour of fight I started to question my guess and I do not mind admitting, a little panic set in as I
thought about how I was going to land this thing. I was on my own. think1

Another hour and a half, reality set in and at boat side was my PB Tuna , if I could land it.

I did land it, although I am asking myself how  thumbsup1

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 580
  • -Receive: 506
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
Finally nailed a barrel
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 01:15:21 pm »
Ha, brilliant!

Don't you just hate it when more than one rod goes off and you're out there single-handed?  So often ends up with both fish lost (mutter, mutter).  But you made up for it with the biggie: nice going.  What weight do you reckon?

rogun

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Finally nailed a barrel
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 01:29:02 pm »
Hi,
Bluefin went 109.2kg at 187cm in length,
so much for my first guess, feeling it today but worth it

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2342
  • -Receive: 952
  • Liked: 8
  • Referrals: 2
Finally nailed a barrel
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 10:51:53 am »
Well done on the PB, you did a good job landing it on your own as well... a few body aches & pains but well worth it that's for sure.. thumbsup1

cheers
Adrian..

proka

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 621
  • -Receive: 399
  • Liked: 1
  • Referrals: 19
    • Fishing Boating Tasmania
Finally nailed a barrel
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 09:16:08 pm »
Gíday Rogun

Thatís an awesome effort solo. Isnít it a great sound, one rod going, then another and another. Hard enough with a full crew. Few being caught down there at the moment. Youíre a trail blazer doing this a week ago thumbsup1

proka
What has 4,882km's of coastline? think1

rogun

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Finally nailed a barrel
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 04:47:29 pm »
Hi Proka,
Thank you,
It certainly wakes a person up when the reels scream, and leaves a thump in the chest when the fish parts company so close to the gaff.
That one didnt get away though. I did not mention earlier that the weight was cleaned.
I have no idea what gills and stomach weigh. The fish was full of crabs which I thought was a little odd. think1
 I can only guess that at some point the crabs must be in the water column.
I ordered a bent butt Tiagra Ultra 50/80 from Spot On with the new understanding that fighting a large Bluefin is apparently easier to deal with than on a straight butt rod.
We will see shortly when the weather settles. It is my intention to tick a solo Sword off my bucket list. fish1

Cheers

rogun

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Finally nailed a barrel
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 07:28:36 pm »
Does anyone else have any thoughts about bent butt rods verses straight butt rods when it comes to game fishing ?
are there advantages for either ?
what is deemed as a great Swordfish combination and what is best for chasing the barrels ?
what does everyone else run ?

Cheers to the input.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal