Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Kingfish  (Read 734 times)

mahimahi

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 24
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 1
Kingfish
« on: November 24, 2020, 08:08:41 pm »
Hi fellow anglers,

Anyone had any luck landing any kingies in Sth East region i.e. derwent river, cremorne, NW Bay... fish1

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 579
  • -Receive: 502
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
Kingfish
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 08:24:30 am »
Not much evidence as yet, although there have been a couple of reports of people having battles with things that were suspected to be kings - in the lower Derwent.  Find a decent school of Aus salmon and drop a jig or slice down under the pack, then retrieve fast and see what responds.

mahimahi

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Kingfish
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 01:43:22 pm »
Had water temp at sloping main at 17 degrees recently so they are or will be about soon. Might try a spot tomorrow in Frederick Henry Bay which is also producing some nice flatchaps and calamari. My daughter landed the biggest flattie last weekend on her $25 kids combo outfit  goodjob1

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Kingfish
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 07:05:58 am »
Heaps of kingfish now in evidence in North-West Bay.  Plenty boats out after them, and many having success.  Still they are a bit cryptic: here today, somewhere else tomorrow, but you won't know unless you go try your luck.  I went out Tuesday morning, found a heap of big fish on the fishfinder, but hanging deep, and no amount of jigging, spinning etc with hardbodies, metal jigs and soft plastics would bring them up.  The soft placcies did pull half a dozen decent flathead, though - so the morning wasn't a complete waste.

Also, if you go, be prepared for seals: I was talking to a couple of guys on Sunday who had hooked a good king, only to have a bloody great seal nick it at the end!

mahimahi

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Kingfish
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 08:15:38 am »
Thanks for the report, good to hear the kingies are about in the Derwent. Recently fished at Lewisham throwing soft plastics under/near moored boats and hooked something large which ran hard and eventually busted me off, didn't get a look at it but my guess is that it was a king. Was using 5lb so didn't stand much of a chance  fish1

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Kingfish
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 03:24:33 pm »
It's well worth fishing heavier at this stage of the year, wherever you are.  Although you can't keep them because the whole of Frederick Henry / Norfolk Bay is a shark nursery area, it's not unusual to get a run from a decent gummy on soft placcies along that Lewisham-Dodges ferry area this time of year.  Fishing heavier does at least let you land a big fish and retrieve your hooks, lures, etc!

And, as you say, it could just as readily have been a king.  I wouldn't go any lighter than about 15lb on a reel with a GOOD drag, at this stage, unless you're specifically targeting gars or whiting or whatever.  Even Aus salmon can turn up in XOS size and make a mess of lighter tackle!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal