Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Been a while  (Read 161 times)

Paikea

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 155
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 1
Been a while
« on: September 13, 2020, 04:52:11 pm »
Hiyah all

It has been quite a while since I last visited the site. And I have not fished for 18 Months so having withdrawal symptoms.

Two total knee replacements, (Sep 2018 & June 2019) both still giving me hell and Covid have all combined to keep me stranded, still need a walking stick to get around but hey, still looking down not up so reason to stay positive.

I sold my 490C Barcrusher to a guy in Victoria, bought it sight unseen other than the pics that I posted in the add. He loves it and is catching heaps of Salmon and Trout in the lakes near Colac. we keep in touch and have become good friends even got an invite to fish with him when the Covid issue is resolved.

I sold the Crusher for reason that whilst it is still a small boat it was just to big for me to handle on my own with two bung knees. So I decided to downsize to an open tinnie and settled on a Stessl 460 Extreme with a 60 HP Yammie. Ordered it in January this year and just took delivery two weeks ago. I was able to get it for only a little more than what I got for the Crusher so very happy.

When I ordered it (from Gold Coast Boating in Queensland) Stessl had only a few boats on order so I was able to negotiate having it fitted out to my requirements. The result is the best set up that I have ever had in a boat. Chequer plate floor and deck, anchor winch, 9 inch Lowrance sounder/GPS, Uniden sound system, casting deck, transom door, 50  litre  live bait tank fully plumbed, another live tank big enough to take a 1M  fish or with a removable divider to make 2 x 500 long sections. All plumbed.

Having agreed to all of my changes Gold Coast suddenly had orders for 60 plus boats as Queenslanders used their super fund moneys to buy new boats, they had never seen such a rush for new boats. The end result was that my boat, being non standard went to the back of the que. Seeing how well they were looking after me with the changes from standard  I was happy to wait until two weeks ago to collect it from Tweed Heads where the good folk from Gold Coast arranged to bring it over the border. (We were barred from crossing the border)  Tomorrow I get the name decals (Paikea of course) and rego numbers put on, I will post pics when that is done. Hopefully my son in law will help me  to get it wet in the near future.

Cheerio to Reddory and Adrian, I have missed reading your posts but will catch up now

Cheers

Paikea

PAIKEA

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2318
  • -Receive: 938
  • Liked: 7
  • Referrals: 2
Been a while
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 06:37:35 pm »
I knew you've been suffering for quite some time with the knees, it's certainly been a long & painful recovery by the sounds of it, let's hope they settle down real soon for you..

That was a good idea down sizing the boat as it will hopefully be better suited for you, the new one sounds great and beautifully set up to how you want it..

Let's hope you manage to get out and there and give it a good workout and catch a few fish.. take care and stay positive... Look forward to seeing a few photos of the boat later on..

cheers
Adrian..

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 568
  • -Receive: 494
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
Been a while
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 07:06:57 am »
Geez, Paikea: that doesn't sound all that much smaller than the 'Crusher!  Nevertheless, if it gets you out on the water again, that'll be great.  Looking forward to seeing pics - of the boat, AND of some fish!

Paikea

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 155
  • Referrals: 1
Been a while
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 11:20:00 am »
Hi Paul
The big difference is in there being no cabin, much less bulky and not being 4mm plate it is also much lighter.

The transom door and large boarding platform will make it much easier for me to board the boat from the back which is something that caused me grief on the Crusher. (trying to bend my knee to lift my leg over the gunwale). I am going to miss the sea going qualities of the Crusher but hey, a new boat is always a good time.

Jill has booked us into 7 mile beach in January, providing the Covid restrictions are off by then we plan to drive down and catch the boat across. Hopefully we will be able to fish for BFT again, if not maybe some other options. I will write as we get closer to the time. fish1 fish1 fish1

Cheers

Hank
PAIKEA

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 568
  • -Receive: 494
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
Been a while
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 10:34:57 am »
Great, mate.  Hoping like hell that Tassie will have borders open (carefully!) by Christmas, so you ought to be OK for January. If tuna aren't on the agenda then, there will be something else about, I'm sure.  Never know, we might get an opportunity this time to drag my little Stessl out to one of our more picturesque lakes and worry a trout or two!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal