Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: off the mark!  (Read 216 times)

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 564
  • -Receive: 489
  • Liked: 0
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
off the mark!
« on: August 02, 2020, 10:23:43 am »
Well, opening day has passed, with really brilliant weather for a change.

I decided in the end to just go to favourite local places, and dawn found me on a middle reach of the Huon, not far from the mouth of the Russell.  River was quite manageable, having had no rain to speak of in the headwaters for some days, so wading was just comfortable.  I started out throwing Rapalas, but had no response, so swapped for a simple silver spoon, and took two fish in fairly quick succession; both evidently had been sea-run, so what they were doing this far up into the fresh at this stage of the game I'm not sure.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Both about the same size; one went back but the one in the photo had absolutely swallowed the hook, so I tapped it on the head and brought it home: nice little meal for Merlene and me.

Then I spent the rest of the morning pushing up the Russell - about a kilometre and a half of it - but didn't encounter a single fish.  Some serious flash flooding five weeks or so ago had left tonnes of debris on the banks, but the river bed was swept absolutely clean, so I don't suppose there will be much in the way of fish there until after it warms, and forms some detritus beds to produce foodstuff for the trout.

It was great to get out again, and in good weather too.  It's supposedly going to turn to custard later today, and be horrible for most of the week, so next opportunity might be a little way off.

cal123

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 16
off the mark!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 11:25:24 am »
Good to see some fish caught. I went up the Russell as well and waded a fair way and didn't see a single fish.

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2314
  • -Receive: 935
  • Liked: 7
  • Referrals: 2
off the mark!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 06:47:35 pm »
Nice to see you managed to catch a couple Paul.. I'm hoping once the weather settles down I'll be back in a river chasing trout, I'm not pushing myself this early in the season like I normally do..So there's no trout fishing for me yet, I had an appointment this afternoon to be assessed to see how soon I can see a orthopedic surgeon for hip replacements & lower back (L3,L4 & L5 discs) surgery.. Have been given the okay for a visit to the orthopedic surgeon for the hips which will be around twelve months time. As for the back, well that's going to be assessed another time down the track to see another surgeon..
There was a nice dumping of snow overnight on Black Bluff with more forecast, very clear skies up this was tonight too.. more likely a heavy frost than snow here at this stage.
Here's a photo I took this morning from the back yard followed by a wild sunset, I'd sooner it had been a few photos of some trout..

cheers
Adrian

* Click on photo to enlarge...

« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 09:54:28 pm by meppstas »

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
off the mark!
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 10:17:00 am »
Good to see some fish caught. I went up the Russell as well and waded a fair way and didn't see a single fish.

It's an interesting stream.  Traditionally it didn't use to fish at all until well into October.  From the late 1990s and through the noughties, there have been fish from the beginning of the season (climate change perhaps has modified the seasonal conditions?), but just this last couple of years it's been difficult to find a trout at all - through the entire season.  I'm hoping it will prove to be recovering this year as time goes on.

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
off the mark!
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 10:21:10 am »
Thanks, Adrian.  Sorry to hear that you're grounded for the time being.  Hips and back sound pretty drastic, and the projected wait times a real bugger.  I hope you can find enough relief in the meantime to get out, as you said, for some fishing once the weather settles down.

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2314
  • -Receive: 935
  • Liked: 7
  • Referrals: 2
off the mark!
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 11:22:51 pm »
Finally got out for my first spin session of the trout season, only managed a couple of browns before the rain set in..
Only a short one hour session in very cold 3 degree water..The Mepps Aglia rainbow micro pigment did the job..
Nice to be back in the water chasing trout again.. Back to the doctors in the morning for another dose of weekly injections in the hips & lower back to keep me in the rivers..

cheers
Adrian (meppstas)

#tackletactics #meppslures #okuma #platypuslines

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal