Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: countdown to season opening  (Read 137 times)

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 564
  • -Receive: 489
  • Liked: 0
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
countdown to season opening
« on: July 28, 2020, 03:40:35 pm »
I'm now counting down in earnest to the opening of the new trout season on Saturday.  At this point, weather for most places looks like being relatively benign, so I'm considering what options are available for where to go. 

Great to see Sorell is properly open again after all this time, and interested to note in the new regs it has a bag limit of 12 fish where so many other lakes have 5 (or less).  I guess it will be busy on opening weekend, so I'll give that a miss.  But I am looking forward to having a visit or two there later in the season, to see if it has recovered to what it once was: a decent fishery, with mostly good conditioned fish with a bit of size to them.

Bronte Lagoon could be worth a shot, or the Brady's chain of lakes.  Woods has done well at the start of the season, the past few years, but again it will probably be really busy because of that.  Otherwise, it's back into the local rivers: I do miss just mooching along the river bank and winkling the odd one out of the deeper corners and slower runs.

Where's everyone else going?  Any plans as yet?

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2314
  • -Receive: 935
  • Liked: 7
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 12:17:01 pm »
More than likely I'll hit a small tannin stream somewhere for starters as they should be at a nice wade-able height,

But I will wait until Saturday morning though then check the larger river levels before making the final decision.. The weather is looking good in my area at this stage, but we know how quickly it can turn around.

River Leven is still running a little on the high side at this stage, if we don't have rain above Loongana before Saturday if should have dropped to a safe wading level.

Mersey River is fine for wading at this stage from below Parangana all the way to Latrobe (Lake Rowallan & Mersey River above Rowallan are still closed, rainbow waters).

Meander River is running at 75 cms which is a little high for my liking, I'd prefer it to be at 55-60 cms which is much safer for wading..

Anyway, good luck to those of you who are heading off to the lakes or rivers. hope you all catch a few solid trout..

cheers
Adrian
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 05:23:46 pm by meppstas »

cal123

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 16
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 11:52:18 am »
Good luck all!

I was thinking of heading up to the lakes but the weather looks a bit chilly up the top. Instead I'll be fishing the Derwent chasing sea runners.

Hopefully I'll get a chance in the next couple of weeks to head up to the lakes.

Dan

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 85
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 03:11:18 pm »
Recently bought myself a little campervan  so hope to use it abit this year. Didn't even get a trout licence last season. First time in years I haven't fished for a full season.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal