Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bit of a worry!  (Read 195 times)

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 564
  • -Receive: 489
  • Liked: 0
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
Bit of a worry!
« on: July 18, 2020, 03:51:35 pm »
Some pretty scary news overnight, of a 10-year-old boy being taken by a shark off Stanley - from inside the boat!  I guess we are probably all aware of the possibility of being picked up by one when we're down there with them: certainly, those in the know (commercial divers and such) will tell you there are always big sharks - often whites - in Tasmanian waters pretty much all year round.  I've know a few over the years who have had significant scares, even in the middle of winter.  But for one to suddenly rear up out of the water, reach into a 6-metre boat and pluck the boy from the relative safety of the cockpit, that's downright freaky!

Good on his dad for jumping in straight away and scaring it off enough to get the boy back on board.  The 5km trip back to Stanley must have been an ordeal too, soaking wet, freezing cold, bleeding and shocked.  Thank heaven it all ended relatively well.

They were apparently cleaning their catch of flathead at the time: I guess all the guts and frames must have been just enough to berley it up.  I always bring my flathead, and most other fish, home intact in the ice box, and clean them in the comfort of the kitchen.  It means I have lots of waste to dig into the garden to grow tomatoes etc.  Obviously, it also means I'm less likely to become dinner for something else bigger than me!

mahimahi

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 23
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 1
Bit of a worry!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 10:51:27 am »
He's certainly a lucky boy to have survived such an event and kudos to his brave dad. I often think of the unlucky scallop diver back in 2015 who was fatally attacked by a large white pointer between Lachlan and Maria islands, an area I often fish in. I've only a 4.5m runnabout and to think there are sharks larger than my boat makes me a tad nervous. Not sure if you heard of the lady who was recently fishing around the hippolyte when a seal who had latched onto her tuna was taken by an estimated 6m great white  shark1

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/hobart/programs/drive/shark-vs-seal/12411850?utm_medium=social&utm_content=sf235595741&utm_campaign=abc_hobart&utm_source=m.facebook.com&sf235595741=1

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2314
  • -Receive: 935
  • Liked: 7
  • Referrals: 2
Bit of a worry!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 04:59:10 pm »
 I can remember years ago when a fisherman in a boat was killed by a Mako shark that leaped from the water and bit him on the shoulder..

Certainly glad this young fella survived that's for sure.. When I used to fish for Snapper back in Sth Aust I often had sharks come at them as we went to sink the gaff into the fish,

Pretty scary at times..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal