Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: closing day...?  (Read 407 times)

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 557
  • -Receive: 485
  • Liked: 0
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
closing day...?
« on: April 26, 2020, 10:34:48 am »
Well, only a week now until closing day for most trout waters.  It has always been something of a ritual observation for me, and I'm sure plenty of others.  But it looks like being a whopper anti-climax this season, with most of the lakes and a whole swag of river access points closed already, due to the virus.

I'm still tossing up whether there's any place to go or any point in going there.  Anyone else planning a closing day excursion, or have you just given up for the duration?

Earlybird

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 16
closing day...?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 01:52:52 pm »
was planning to visit 4-springs but as they have not with drawn restrictions until 15 may i reckon the boat will be staying in the shed also the weather don't look to good  If it is reasonable might get onto the sth Esk at Longford as it is home water the other option is sit in the boat and make boat noises at least i will stay dry yak1 yak1 whistlingdixie1

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2310
  • -Receive: 931
  • Liked: 7
  • Referrals: 2
closing day...?
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 09:20:37 pm »
I will be having a fish close to home, but it will depend on the rivers heights and the weather conditions..,,,, fish1

cheers
Adrian
Tackle Tactics, Mepps, Okuma & Platypus lines Pro Team Member..

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
closing day...?
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 10:43:43 am »
was planning to visit 4-springs but as they have not with drawn restrictions until 15 may i reckon the boat will be staying in the shed also the weather don't look to good  If it is reasonable might get onto the sth Esk at Longford as it is home water the other option is sit in the boat and make boat noises at least i will stay dry yak1 yak1 whistlingdixie1

HA ha: sounds about right.  You going to take some sangers and a flask of coffee and really make a day of it?  happydance1  laugh1

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
closing day...?
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 10:50:39 am »
I will be having a fish close to home, but it will depend on the rivers heights and the weather conditions..,,,, fish1

cheers
Adrian

Well, at least you've got some fish in your home rivers: your post about your 400th for the season confirms that.  I'd normally reckon 300-350 for a season; this season my score is FOUR!  Local streams have just been empty, and I've had little opportunity to get out much further afield, alas.  I'm definitely looking forward to setting that to rights next season!

cal123

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 14
closing day...?
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 02:06:28 pm »
Jeez I must really be doing something wrong with all you blokes posting respectable test scores each season. If I caught 40 I'd be happy.

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
closing day...?
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2020, 04:29:10 pm »
Do you fish rivers, Cal, or mostly lakes?  We small-stream guys can generally get good numbers, but they are by and large small fish, and mostly we don't keep them.  That's why I like to have a few sessions in the lakes each season - chance to feel some fish with a bit of weight to them, and have a few for the plate as well.  Might a get a few opportunities to pick up a winter sea-runner or two in the lower Huon this year, after the rest of the season closes - otherwise, it's "next season for sure".

cal123

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
closing day...?
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 03:10:31 pm »
Mostly lakes, and the Derwent Reddory. Very true about the size of the fish, but I've always struggled a bit on the trout. I do persist with the fly though.

I'm all good getting into the Derwent bream but some days at the lakes can be very frustrating.

I'm hoping to try for a couple of Derwent sea runners this year too. I've heard of some being caught already but haven't seen any myself. I seem to remember last year you did a couple of posts about getting into some late autumn escaped salmon in the Huon. Any chance of this this year?

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
closing day...?
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 07:19:54 am »
You're right; there were a few really nice salmon up the Huon in late autumn last year.  No idea whether any about this year: they tend to move up when early autumn rains come, then sit as the river drops back down again, waiting for the next little flow to move up a bit further.  When they're sitting, they can be targeted in areas that are wadeable. Unusually, there have been pretty steady flows down the Huon for the past couple of months, so any salmon that might have been out there will just have kept on swimming.

There definitely are fish moving in the margins down around Franklin and Cradoc at the moment - probably "slob" trout and some sea-runners - and they should make their way upriver gradually over the next few weeks, so it's always possible to find an odd one in the stretch from there to the the Huonville bridge - which remains open all winter.  Not a lot of easy bankside access, though, so boat is best, either trolling or drift spinning.

cal123

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
closing day...?
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 10:00:42 am »
Thanks for the info on the Huon. Unfortunately I'm shore based (maybe one day I'll get a boat!!) so I guess I'll stick to the Derwent. What are you trolling Red? Tassie devils or minnow style lures?

Funny enough, after posting last week, went for a little flick in the evening earlier this week around Lindesfarne and landed the little searunner in the picture below. It was the only one in amongst a lot of salmon but a pleasant surprise. Here's hoping for a good run of them to make up for a lack of trout fishing.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
closing day...?
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2020, 01:39:33 pm »
That's a nice bright, plump little fish!  Good job!

I have a 2-rod licence, so generally troll a Tassie Devil on one line and a minnow (eg 7cm Rapala) on the other - gives a bit of a range of depths.  There are some spots on the lower Huon that are really deep, so I'll swap the devil for a deeper diver there, then back to the devil in shallower water.  Pretty much any pattern so long as it's got silver and some green or yellow in it - and pref with a few red spots.  Drift spinning I'll use various small soft plastics or the smaller Tas Devils, or some "Liquid Gold" minnows: they don't troll well, but if you can twist and tweak a retrieve, they are the goods, I've found.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal