Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Flathead sizes  (Read 728 times)

Lin

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 0
Flathead sizes
« on: February 14, 2020, 11:20:32 am »
Have done two trips in the last week, Channel out Middleton and Frederick Henry Bay out of Cremorne.  Am puzzled by the high numbers of flathead that are undersize and the number of 32cm keepers that I came across.  Four hours of fishing resulted in hundreds of undersized hookups for a total of about 8 size (just) fish.  Overfishing cannot be a reason and trawlers do not operate that close inshore. Do any members have an opinion on this frustrating situation ?

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 568
  • -Receive: 494
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
Flathead sizes
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 06:48:22 am »
Can't say for sure, Lin, but if you consider that 2-3 years back, there were hardly any flatties of any size to be caught around the southern inshore waters, then the fact there are now heaps again is a positive sign, I guess.  As to there being such a big proportion of littl'uns, it may be that the waters where you are fishing have been fished pretty hard already over the summer, so size fish have already been removed.  IMAS recently released results of its rec angler survey that showed flathead is by far the most popular fish caught: around 1.7 MILLION taken last season around the state, with around half of them returned to the water - the biggest part of that effort was in southern / south-eastern waters.

I guess we must just be patient and let the huge numbers of juveniles get bigger - next summer (or the one after) should be excellent!

Sorell Phantom

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 75
  • Liked: 1
  • Referrals: 1
Flathead sizes
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 02:14:33 pm »
I think its because there is a recovery and there are lots more flatties now its just the little ones are more aggressive and get to the bait first.  Dropped go pro down last year attached to swivel and was amazed with footage there were heaps of flatties little ones came up to bait and camera bigger ones in the background

meninaboat

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 2
Flathead sizes
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 09:41:21 am »
I went out from Primrose sands twice in a week. yes a battle to get half a dozen for dinner.   In the 18 yrs I have fished P,sands i have never heard of proven reports re water depth water temp for the bigger ones.  From my experience its a matter of moving around to find a better patch.
We went out about a week ago through the narrows out by Green island away from reefs and found good numbers of FH and the ration of keepers was reasonable.

What I have found over the last ten years in Norfolk bay that the squid numbers are seriously diminished.

Spinksy

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 17
Flathead sizes
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 07:18:01 pm »
Hi everyone, hope you are staying safe and well.
Interesting topic this, and its the same inshore at Adventure Bay, where I fish. Lots of smaller ones, but enough keepers to get a feed.  This summer both the flathead and calamari fishing has been slower than previous years, but the water temp didnt reach anywhere near it did last year. Only in the past 3-4 weeks did the calamari really start to fire, but alas, no shack time for us this easter, or many others, so hopefully this might also help rejuvenate the stocks.

We did luck in our last trip down there, with the wife and I both getting our 2 cray limit in our pots, which was a nice surprise.

Take care all, and lets hope we can all get a fishing session in somewhere soon!

Spinksy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal