Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Flathead sizes  (Read 131 times)

Lin

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 0
Flathead sizes
« on: February 14, 2020, 11:20:32 am »
Have done two trips in the last week, Channel out Middleton and Frederick Henry Bay out of Cremorne.  Am puzzled by the high numbers of flathead that are undersize and the number of 32cm keepers that I came across.  Four hours of fishing resulted in hundreds of undersized hookups for a total of about 8 size (just) fish.  Overfishing cannot be a reason and trawlers do not operate that close inshore. Do any members have an opinion on this frustrating situation ?

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 546
  • -Receive: 476
  • Liked: 0
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
Flathead sizes
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 06:48:22 am »
Can't say for sure, Lin, but if you consider that 2-3 years back, there were hardly any flatties of any size to be caught around the southern inshore waters, then the fact there are now heaps again is a positive sign, I guess.  As to there being such a big proportion of littl'uns, it may be that the waters where you are fishing have been fished pretty hard already over the summer, so size fish have already been removed.  IMAS recently released results of its rec angler survey that showed flathead is by far the most popular fish caught: around 1.7 MILLION taken last season around the state, with around half of them returned to the water - the biggest part of that effort was in southern / south-eastern waters.

I guess we must just be patient and let the huge numbers of juveniles get bigger - next summer (or the one after) should be excellent!

Sorell Phantom

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 73
  • Liked: 1
  • Referrals: 1
Flathead sizes
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 02:14:33 pm »
I think its because there is a recovery and there are lots more flatties now its just the little ones are more aggressive and get to the bait first.  Dropped go pro down last year attached to swivel and was amazed with footage there were heaps of flatties little ones came up to bait and camera bigger ones in the background

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal