Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Climbing the walls!  (Read 346 times)

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 540
  • -Receive: 476
  • Liked: 0
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
Climbing the walls!
« on: November 17, 2019, 03:28:28 pm »
Honestly, I don't know about the rest of you, but I've just about had it up to here with the weather lately.  It's been weeks since I last got out for a fish: endless strong winds, cold showers (with snow on the highlands), everything in the garden is now about 4 weeks behind where it should be at this time - except the grass, which I can't get a mower on to because it's perpetually wet!

I have no idea if there are any fish about, either salt water or fresh, in the south of the island.  Last time I did get out, for a brief morning on the D'Entrecasteaux Channel more than a fortnight ago, I couldn't find a squid, and although I caught a thousand flatties, only two were legal to bring home.

Has anyone else been out to try recently, and have you found anything worth reporting?

Dan

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 83
  • Liked: 1
Climbing the walls!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 01:28:56 pm »
It sure seems to be later this year than usual.  I always remember October as being the more windy month.

I read somewhere the east aus current is well behind where it usually is this year also. Water temps still very low for this stage in the year.

Haven't heard of anything remarkable happening around anywhere really, a few flatties and squid and the odd salmon being landed about the place. But nothing to write home about.

rogun

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 60
  • Referrals: 1
Climbing the walls!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 03:53:08 pm »
I read somewhere that summer is not going to arrive until perhaps the end of January, it appears that everything is late this year.
I have been following the east Australian current, and agree that its no where near us as previous years. Could mean that some species may be a fizzer this year, who knows!
I know that I too have had an absolute gut full of this wind, makes it difficult in the garden as well as fishing.
I try and get the gardens into some kind of order before the fishing starts to improve.  fustrated1 fustrated1
Lets hope that things improve very soon.

Zimmer

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 36
Climbing the walls!
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 08:38:31 pm »
Also had enough of missing out so rand the fellas and said letís go whether hail, snow or hurricane. Arrived at wayatina lagoon 6 am Sunday and ended up with 6 fish, two each of really good nick brownies full of stick caddis.  All around the three pound mark if not a touch better. One caught on drift spinning the new 2019 mojo tas devil. Did try the limited grease no9 for a while but no takers. Most fish liked the tapas brown trout and another fell to the yellow winged freddo.  Must say the size of the fish in this beautiful lagoon have surprised me due to the old pound and a half mark. 

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Climbing the walls!
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 05:36:29 am »
Nice fish, Zimmer and thanks for the report.  And well done for getting out at all!

rogun

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Climbing the walls!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 09:00:16 am »
I heard on the grapevine a little while ago that possibly some very large fish were transferred into Wayatina from Lake Crescent.
Anyone else hear this or can validate the story ?
Nice fish fellas, well done beating this wind.

Dan

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 83
  • Liked: 1
Climbing the walls!
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 02:10:36 pm »
Can't say I've heard anything. Wouldn't be surprised if it was true.

B.Marriott

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 96
  • Wake up with a line in the water
Climbing the walls!
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 08:07:41 pm »
Has been frustrating thatís for sure,had been hoping to get down south for another crack at the crayfish but itís been blowing ever since opening weekend.

Hereís a couple photos from up the East Coast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Climbing the walls!
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2019, 12:18:31 pm »
I heard on the grapevine a little while ago that possibly some very large fish were transferred into Wayatina from Lake Crescent.
Anyone else hear this or can validate the story ?

There's no sign on the IFS stocking database of any transfers into Wayatinah for at least the past 2-3 years (I didn't look any further back than that), and certainly no indication there have been fish taken out of Crescent - though plenty of records of them putting fish IN there.  That's not to say there hasn't been some illegal transfer, but who would bother, and why?  Wayatinah has a nice head of good-sized fish by natural recruitment, plus the occasional injection of a few Atlantics from the hatchery there, specially for kids' fishing days/competitions.

What I've seen of it, Wayatinah is the kind of lake that Penstock was once upon a time: sheltered, pretty, with a good supply of wild fish but some challenge to catch them.  Plus it has a great camping facility where you can prop on a grassy foreshore with access to toilets, showers, and a swimming pool in summer, for a pretty reasonable overnight fee.  All well managed, with caretaker on hand to control the riff-raff.  Wish some of the other lakes had it as good!

rogun

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Climbing the walls!
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 01:55:49 pm »
I was actually camped up at Penstock when I heard that fish had been transferred off the record, apparently it occurred when Crescent levels were very low. Interestingly though it was stated that the fish were transferred in a trailer and tank type unit, and not a truck. Ive been at Craigbourne before and only ever seen a truck deliver fish stockings. I did not know they had another means of transport for fish. I wonder if anyone has a close affiliation with any staff within IFS, and maybe they can shed some light.
As I stated in my post, It may simply be rumor and there may be little truth to it.
 Have to admit though, I did get a little excited at the prospect of double figure fish in Wayatina. fish1 

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Climbing the walls!
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2019, 10:03:39 am »
Update:  Now the first week of December and still no let-up in the wind and cold slashing showers.  Would be OK if the rain was real soaking rain, but we don't even have that consolation down here in the south of the state.

Managed to get out for a half-day charter with Paikea on Sorell Phantom's boat from Orford  some 10 days ago: battled the wind for about 60 km of travel, to find a couple of spots that yielded a dozen and a half modest-sized flathead - pretty hard going!

Then Monday morning this week I just threw all caution to the winds, chucked some gear in the car and whizzed down to Southport.  Managed to pop out on the wharf for half an hour between squalls and nailed 2 good solid calamari (35cm hoods) in three casts, then popped out again between squalls to clean them before dragging home again in rising wind and increasing rain.  Otherwise, cooped up and going stir-crazy.

Again I ask: has anyone else managed to get out for a fish?

cal123

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 11
Climbing the walls!
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2019, 11:49:38 am »
The weather has been pretty average.

Last week and the week before did have a couple of afternoons which were fairly calm and I took the opportunity to walk down to the Derwent for a bit of a flick around the Lindisfarne area. Starting with a small minnow I got into a few aussie salmon with some of them getting up to around the 40cm mark, good fun on the light spin gear.

A couple of days after that I went down to the same area in the evening and tried out a small popper, the salmon loved it, ended up catching (and releasing) so many that I changed out the trebles on the popper to singles for a quicker release.

In amongst all that I had a dismal trip to the highlands with three lads, zero fish landed and freezing hands.

How good is summer  laugh1
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 07:59:36 pm by cal123 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal