Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Re-living past catches  (Read 410 times)

Paikea

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 153
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 1
Re-living past catches
« on: October 09, 2019, 10:36:40 am »
Hi all
Having my knee operations stopping me from fishing for the past 12 months and likely some more until I get fully mobile again I have taken to reminiscing by looking at photos of past catches going back to the sixties.

Amazing how it lifts the spirit to recall what, where and how I and my friends caught fish pictured in the large number of photos that we all seem to collect.

I even have a pic going back to when I had a full head of hair.  laugh1 laugh1 laugh1

Anyway, the reason for this post is to see if anyone might be interested in posting pictures of some of their past catches and sharing their experience. I for one would love to see them, regardless of the size, number caught or type. They all go toward our love of the sport and are worth sharing.

What do you think of this suggestion as a way to fill in those  times of the year  when catching is slow bur memories are always worth sharing.

Please, have a say and see if we can lift the number of posts. anyone1

Cheers

Paikea   
PAIKEA

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 539
  • -Receive: 476
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
Re-living past catches
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 03:17:33 pm »
Nice idea, Hank.  I'm sure I have a few old bragging pics to share.  I'll look one or two out over the weekend.

Why restrict it to inshore saltwater, though?  Maybe this topic would be better off under the "General fishing" page.  That way, it can include pics of freshwater and offshore captures as well.  Do you want to move it, or shall I?

Paikea

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Re-living past catches
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 05:50:31 am »
Hi Paul
I agree with your suggestion to broaden the scope for this topic, hope that it works and we get to see some past catches.

I would not have a clue on how to move the post so I would appreciate you doing it.

In the meantime attached is a example of one of my past catches. A Jewfish taken off the wall at South West Rocks many years ago.

Cheers

Hank
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 05:53:25 am by Paikea »
PAIKEA

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Re-living past catches
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 03:32:22 pm »
Thumping jewie there, mate!

Here's my brag pic of a 24 kilo albacore caught a few years back off Tasman Peninsula:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Then we went out a fortnight later and my wife landed a 25.5 kilo one.  I checked it out (after we got it home and cut it up) and discovered that would have been an all-tackle record albie for a lady angler!

Now, does anyone else have any old "brag" pics to share?  I bet there are some beauties out there in members' archives: c'mon, dig them out!

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2297
  • -Receive: 920
  • Liked: 7
  • Referrals: 2
Re-living past catches
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 05:44:57 pm »
Here's a few photos (had to scan some old slides to get them on the computer) from the 70's when I did a lot of saltwater fishing back in South Australia.. fish1

My ol' mate Billy (RIP) holding up a couple of large snapper..
Trevally I caught during the State Saltwater Championships (came 2nd overall) held at Coffins Bay, Eyre Peninsular..
A nice catch of Salmon & a mulloway taken at Waitpinga Beach 1976..
Another catch of salmon taken while rock fishing at Waitpinga/Parsons Beach headland..
Same catch as above, but all cleaned & back at the car..
The area on the rocks where I used to fish..
Another view of the area I rock fished for salmon..

cheers
Adrian
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 05:47:09 pm by meppstas »
Tackle Tactics, Mepps, Okuma & Platypus lines Pro Team Member..

arthur

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
Re-living past catches
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 08:39:55 pm »
 laugh1  laugh1 laugh1

Basically, this is a post where fossils share their fishing photos.

Just kidding! Please don't take it personal. Enjoy these good old memories. cool1 cool1 cool1

Keep going!!!

Cheers

Young fisho @ his very late 20s.

Paikea

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Re-living past catches
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 08:32:44 am »
Basically, this is a post where fossils share their fishing photos.

Ouch! That is hitting below the belt.

But glad you young whippersnappers can appreciate the skill that us old fossils had in days gone by when Rangoon cane rods and Alveys were the order of the day. Took real skill to hook and land fish on those. Where would your lot be without your carbon fibre rods with special grips to protect your soft hands, custom reels  and a wide choice of lines. To easy.

I hope that we have started something here. The young guns v the old and wiser fossils. Game on.

While I am at it, attached are a few more pics from the past.

Cheers

Paikea

PS; Reddory, like your pics of the Tuna and what brand of boat was that? Looks great.

Pictures.
The first one was taken in the 1950's when I still had hair. A blue groper speared at Batemans Bay.
No 2 is back from my game fishing days when I had a 26 Ft Savage. My stepdaughters are now 38 and 49 YO so work it out. A long time ago. And my 4.9 M Barcrusher is much less maintenance, uses less fuel and does not need a crew to fish it. 
No 3 was taken in Botany Bay. Nice Bream and a small Kingie that responded well to a burley stream. The boat was a 5.2 m Trailcraft Centre Console. Great to fish from but very wet travelling.
No 4 put up a great fight. Ha, Ha.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 08:36:05 am by Paikea »
PAIKEA

Paikea

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Re-living past catches
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 08:42:00 am »
Hey Adrian, love your pics of your salt water fishing. Those SA Snapper are awesome beasts. goodjob1

And here was us thinking that you only knew how to catch Trout.  fish1

Some more for the young guns to think about. laugh1 laugh1 laugh1

Cheers

Paikea

(Hank)
PAIKEA

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Re-living past catches
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 10:58:14 am »
The boat was a Bermuda (basically same as Savage) 540 cuddy cabin with a 90 hp Optimax on the back.  It took us places, in comfort, but having bugger-all vee under the transom, was a scary pig coming home on a following sea.  The Surtees that replaced it was smaller, but a lot more secure!

When I was young, I didn't ever want to be a "fossil".  Now I am one, I'm glad I have a heap of great memories to build on as I continue my life into the future!

Paikea

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Re-living past catches
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 04:42:38 pm »
Found pics of two of my favourite fish.

Blackfish are great to catch and good eating if you prepare them properly.

Garfish are my idea of fun fish to catch, they leap like mini Marlin and respond well to burley. And when butterflied and fried they are great eating.

Plus they  make a top bait for Taylor and Snapper.  fish1

Cheers

Paikea

PAIKEA

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal