Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Derwent Sea Runners  (Read 258 times)

cal123

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 11
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 0
Derwent Sea Runners
« on: September 30, 2019, 11:50:38 am »
I've been hearing some reports of sea runners recently so spent a couple of sessions trying to get into some myself.

A couple of weekends ago I went out and got to the Cadbury area just after first light. I'm land based so I started walking along the shore flicking a small hard bodied lure in a fan out from each place I stopped with a constant twitching retrieve. Eventually got to a small rocky outcrop and got a good hit about 1 metre out from the shore. A solid brown immediately started crocodiling on the spot, he didn't run out at all. After a nervous few minutes and cursing that I hadn't brought my net, I got him to shore. It was a solid silver sea runner about the 60cm mark. Didn't take a photo (of course) and he lived to fight another day.

This weekend I headed out again in the cold with the fly rod this time, and one of the currently popular 'gamechanger' flies that I had yet to try out. This time hit the marshy shore around the Bridgwater bridge. After a frustrating couple of hours with nothing but very cold fingers I finally got a hit. The fish hit the fly off the shore a bit, in what appeared to be a bit of a wind lane. Great fight on the fly gear, and having brought the net this time, I got him in the bag. This one came home for dinner.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Interestingly, when I cleaned him, he was full of black beetles. Anyone got any detail on this? I would have expected a sea runner to full of whitebait, not insects.

Cheers.

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 534
  • -Receive: 474
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
Derwent Sea Runners
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 11:11:02 am »
Thanks Cal: nice to know they are moving up!
That's a good-looking fish, too - I can totally understand why you'd want to enjoy a meal off that one.
Black beetles I agree would be a surprise, at this stage of the season.  Are you sure they weren't little black water snails?

cal123

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 11
Derwent Sea Runners
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 02:23:53 pm »
Hi Reddory,

A bloke at work said the same thing about the snails, I should have taken a photo! Will just have to catch another. 

If the sea runners are eating snails (or beetles), would fishing with a team of wets, English loch style, work if you were drifting on a boat? Anyone tried this is the tidal part of the Derwent?

Deano2506

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
Derwent Sea Runners
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 05:01:36 pm »
Those little black beatles are called cockshunt beatles(yes i know,strange name)
Very prolific this time of year

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal