Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Opening day 2019  (Read 383 times)

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 521
  • -Receive: 469
  • Liked: 0
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
Opening day 2019
« on: August 03, 2019, 03:12:41 pm »
I guess I'll kick off what I hope will be a few reports from members out today.  Weather was a bit iffy, but not too bad, so off I went first thing this morning.  Huon river wasn't especially high, but running fast, so not good for safe wading.  An hour or so of bank fishing showed nothing doing, so I turned my attention to the Russell.

It was looking good:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

However, my stream thermometer showed only 4 degrees C; the river bed was scoured clean, and after 2 hours and more than a kilometre of river covered, not a fish did I see.  First opening-day blank I've had in years!  Still, it was good to get back on a river and clear the head.

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2272
  • -Receive: 910
  • Liked: 7
  • Referrals: 2
Opening day 2019
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 04:54:19 pm »
When I headed off today the wind was from the SW gusting to 30kph plus, was heading to Meander but changed my mind due to the windy cold conditions.. stopped and had a 40 minute chat with a farmer then had 30 minutes of practice in a small stream on his property.. Water temp in it was just on 3 degrees so knew I would catch anything any way, mainly wanted to hone my casting skills seeing it's been three months since I had a trout rod in the hand.. Good thing was I did have a follow from a small brown during the practice session, so will certainly return herre at a later date. It was absolutely freezing too, the wind chill temp was 2.3 degrees.. Just took a few photos.. I will start to take the trout fishing more serious over the next couple of weeks providing the weather stays a little settled.. Not sure if I'll hit the water tomorrow yet.. the wind is supposed to drop off, severe frost warning for tomorrow..

cheers
Adrian

Nice little stream on private property.
Will be worth fishing here mid to late September I reckon..
Tackle Tactics, Mepps, Okuma & Platypus lines Pro Team Member..

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 521
  • -Receive: 469
  • Liked: 0
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
Opening day 2019
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 02:35:00 pm »
Thursday: another day, another river, same result!

I shot out for a couple of hours this morning to see if the Little Denison was going to do any better than the Russell did on Saturday.  Spent 2 hours fishing along a largely clear, nicely-running stream, and not a sign of trout anywhere.  A couple of checks with the thermometer said this one also was a tick under 4 degrees only.  Guess there won't be much activity until the water warms up a bit!

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2272
  • -Receive: 910
  • Liked: 7
  • Referrals: 2
Opening day 2019
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 10:42:50 pm »
Thursday: another day, another river, same result!

I shot out for a couple of hours this morning to see if the Little Denison was going to do any better than the Russell did on Saturday.  Spent 2 hours fishing along a largely clear, nicely-running stream, and not a sign of trout anywhere.  A couple of checks with the thermometer said this one also was a tick under 4 degrees only.  Guess there won't be much activity until the water warms up a bit!

Same here to Paul, went for a drive this morning and spent around forty minutes in very cold water without seeing a trout. Still good for practice though and getting fitter each time I go, river bottoms are still quite slippery.. Last season was the same for me with a very slow start when I only had four trips to the rivers during August for 15 trout caught & released... icy cold snow water still coming down isn't helping.. bait fishing in a river would be more productive at this stage..

cheers
Adrian
Tackle Tactics, Mepps, Okuma & Platypus lines Pro Team Member..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal