Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Where to go opening day of Trout Season?  (Read 360 times)

PointerLureProject

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 21
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 0
Where to go opening day of Trout Season?
« on: July 17, 2019, 01:02:34 pm »
Trying to work out where to head opening day?

Leaving from Hobart and will be kayak fishing.  Will most likely be bringing my partner along to catch her first Trout which means I will be, literally, dragging her round all day.

Arthur's may be a bit of a mission unless we stay overnight and was considering Lake Crescent as it's apparently only an hour away, but never been there?

Would love some suggestions?

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2272
  • -Receive: 910
  • Liked: 7
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 02:42:38 pm »
For me it will depend on how high the rivers are running..

may have to drown a worm if they're too high or maybe find a nice back water on a river... thumbsup1

cheers
Adrian
Tackle Tactics, Mepps, Okuma & Platypus lines Pro Team Member..

rogun

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 57
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 04:05:53 pm »
Kayak around Arthurs, cowpadock bay would be my choice for a first caught fish early season especially if you want to get the partner a first fish, I have found quite a few fish early season around there. And whats more if you can put her onto a decent fish that adds up to browny points  cool1 thumbsup1

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 521
  • -Receive: 469
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 07:23:02 am »
Only just spotted this topic, as I've been away for a couple of weeks.

Opening day only less than a week away, and I usually opt for a walk up a local small stream or two, so not sure of kayaking options.  However, thinking about it, there are a couple of possibilities I could suggest.  One of the lower-altitude lakes could be a chance: Woods (but it's likely to be very busy) or perhaps Wayatinah lagoon - sheltered and pleasant, it has a lot of snags up the arm in front of the camping ground, but clearer water on the other side, around the public boat ramp. Safe boating, easy trolling, and possibility of spotting some fish to cast to along the shoreline. Or Meadowbank - go to the head of the lake, where the rivers run in, and paddle about close to the marshy shoreline there.

Alternatively, if there hasn't been too much rain in the headwaters over the days prior, the Huon River above the Huonville bridge can be a nice stretch for paddling and trolling or spin casting.  There's a purpose-built kayak launching/landing place at Mosquito Point, at Ranelagh, or use the public ramp on the esplanade and paddle upstream under the bridge.   Besides resident trout, there could be early sea-runners, and the possibility of an Atlantic if there have been escapees at all recently. If there has been rain, and the river is swollen, you'll find it pretty scary: so watch the "river flow" info on the BOM website for a few days in advance.

Hope this gives you some ideas. Wherever you end up, I hope you find one or two!

PointerLureProject

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 04:30:08 pm »
as usual some great advice there and is much appreciated.

At this stage were looking at heading to Tooms Lake for the LAC bourbon boys comp.   Apparently the lake level is low restricting boat angling to smaller craft so we're figuring it might just give us an edge in the kayaks.

The lake has also been well stocked so the fish should be hungry and in good numbers.

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2272
  • -Receive: 910
  • Liked: 7
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 06:18:04 pm »
as usual some great advice there and is much appreciated.

At this stage were looking at heading to Tooms Lake for the LAC bourbon boys comp.   Apparently the lake level is low restricting boat angling to smaller craft so we're figuring it might just give us an edge in the kayaks.

The lake has also been well stocked so the fish should be hungry and in good numbers.

This site will give you as much info as you need Nathan.. yes Tooms is down going by todays reading... it's a good site to save,,

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDT60151.html

This one is also handy..
https://dpipwe.tas.gov.au/water/water-data/river-flow-plots-(sites-m-z)

Latest stockings:  https://www.ifs.tas.gov.au/fisheries/stocking/

I use them all the time to check the river heights, saves a long drive only to find the rivers running to high.. I know exactly when they're at the right height to hop in and wade..

cheers
Adrian
Tackle Tactics, Mepps, Okuma & Platypus lines Pro Team Member..

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 521
  • -Receive: 469
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 03:43:45 pm »
Finally, Opening Day is nigh!  Been hanging out for it for a while, now I can't believe it's here.  Weather down south here looks a bit iffy: some showers, and highland snow, but mainly early; should clear as the day goes on.  Not too much rain lately - enough to have the rivers flowing nicely, but not too big or dirty, so I'm looking forward to getting into the middle Huon, Russell, etc and spending a pleasant few hours walking/wading and breathing the air again.

What about you?  Where are you going to start the new season?

I'll definitely have some sort of report afterwards; I hope a few others will too!

Dan

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 81
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2019, 10:14:03 am »
Good luck to anyone heading out.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal