Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Too cold?  (Read 294 times)

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 534
  • -Receive: 474
  • Liked: 0
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
Too cold?
« on: July 11, 2019, 11:03:04 am »
It's been pretty quiet on the forum of late; I guess no-one's out fishing much, so nothing to report.  Fresh water is out of bounds mostly, and the salt seems to be challenging at the moment.  I've had a couple of forays down the Huon estuary for almost no result: one keeper flathead in one case, and two that took me all morning in another.  Couldn't find a cocky salmon, calamari, pike etc. either; even the pesky little 'couta weren't there.

But I noticed the water temp is way down: nudging around 8 - 8.5 degrees only on my fishfinder.  That's back to olden time winter temps; haven't seen it much under 12 -13 or so for the past several winters. Chatting to Steve at the Fishing Connection on Tuesday, he said he'd had a similar blank day out on Frederick Henry Bay at the weekend, and noted it was barely 9 degrees there also.

So my question is: have the flathead and other inshore saltwater fish just gone doggo with the cold, or do they all move away to deeper water?  Any knowledge you have to share would be appreciated!

rogun

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 57
  • Referrals: 1
Too cold?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 01:15:14 pm »
I certainly am no expert, but the pattern for my experiences in Fredrick Henry are that just prior to winter and the waters cooling right down.
The flathead appear to move right in closer to shorelines and are reasonably easy to obtain.

Then as the temperature drops into winter proper, I find that I am venturing further down south past Betsy Island,
right down into deeper water to stay in touch with legal size fish.

Then for a period they appear to go very quiet, I am guessing that they move out to even deeper water.

The shallower waters in the bays back up in Fredrick Henry then give up reasonably large cod and other pesky bottom dwellers
around rocky bottom.

Maybe I should think about dragging the smoker out and trying some dirty old cod for a feed.
I have heard that they are quite palatable when smoked, but till now I have never bothered to try it.
Cheers   

Sorell Phantom

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 72
  • Liked: 1
Too cold?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 07:58:19 pm »
That's interesting on water temp as Eaglehawk Neck still been 13.5 - 14.0

rogun

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Too cold?
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 08:53:09 pm »
Hi,
Has anything interesting by way of the fishing been happening down the Neck ?
Cheers

Sorell Phantom

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 72
  • Liked: 1
Too cold?
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 09:27:29 pm »
yeah still good for bluefin

rogun

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Too cold?
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 10:23:33 am »
Thanks for the heads up, I have been trying to get down there, but seems every time I manage to sort out a trip
something goes wrong, others cannot make it or the weather packs it in.
Will wait now i guess for the conditions to improve. fustrated1 fustrated1 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal