Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Unlucky at the lanterns  (Read 257 times)

Zimmer

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 33
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 0
Unlucky at the lanterns
« on: June 27, 2019, 08:21:15 am »
Had a few days off so decided to take the quinnie out of fortesque wed morn. Respooled the 114h and checked all hooks etc. Packed the gear and checked the weather  all looking good.
Left home a bit later due to frosty conditions and arrived at ramp about 8.30. This was the first trip of season.
Anyway pointed out to the lanterns and put out the lumo sprocket we hadnt even got the second rod out and were only moving at about 5km when bang  off goes the sprocket. We were only 70 meters off the lanterns.
After about 20 minutes up comes a cracker about 50+ kilos. We were all ready  gloves on gaff ready deck clear boat in good pos  but!!!.  Being a small boat i had a 10ft leader which makes it a bit hard with not much freeboard and a still green fish. First rookie mistake.
Deckie was dad and did everything right the only thing we didnt realise was how hard they go when the gaf goes in. This thing went stupid and snapped the leader off on the bottom edge of boat and shot stern so quick i thought i was going to lose the gafi held on but old mate blue had a better angle and somehow slipped the gaf.  Off it went as well as the lumo sprocked slowly adding to the pain as it drifted down into the depths.   Oh well thats fishing   not another touch for the rest of the day  hopefully the gaf hole doesnt turn him into seal bait.   Got to luv the learning curve   certainly have a heap more purchase than the standard 25kg schoolie.   Cheers

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 516
  • -Receive: 463
  • Liked: 0
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
Unlucky at the lanterns
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 08:38:39 am »
That was an exciting start to a day, Zimmer!  As you say: love the learning curve.  A bummer you didn't make another contact for the rest of the day, to practice on!  Thanks for an entertaining post.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal