Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: where is everyone heading for opening  (Read 7267 times)

Speedhump

• Forum Supporter
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 20
  • Liked: 0
  • Observation is the beginning of wisdom!
  • Referrals: 0
where is everyone heading for opening
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2011, 09:03:03 am »
 grin1Chris,
I have heard of searunners being caught in the lowerDerwent -specifically Tasman Bridge - Gielston Bay area over the last two months but they are not usually the target species more a by product for bream fisherman. Most have been on hardbodies cool1
Speedhump
Speedhump

Chris

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1475
  • -Receive: 615
  • Referrals: 14
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2011, 09:52:50 am »
Morning Stephen,

Yep, I know of one guy that fishes the Tasman just about every morning and he has got a couple of sea runners. Next time I catch up with him will ask what he was using. I know he uses a lot of SPs, so might have been that.... think1

Another guy I know was fishing with small bait fish from a boat just above the Bedlham Walls weekend before last and got a few follows from sea runners before finally managing one.

I think last year if I remember correctly, there was a report or two of sea runners around the Tasman smashing silver Halco slices too think1

Speedhump

• Forum Supporter
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 20
  • Observation is the beginning of wisdom!
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2011, 03:41:38 pm »

Chris, soft plastics are a good option - I always have a rod rigged up with a plastic and another with a hard body.  I think  a spoon or hard body with a bit of silver is always an option.
Speedhump  grin1
Speedhump

little pig

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2011, 03:55:56 pm »
Has anyone fished Meadowbank lately. I thought I might give it a go one Sunday as its not too far and I reckon the boat might be ok to launch there. I used to fish it a few years ago when they used to drop the big Salmon in there but I havent heard too much about it lately. Any thoughts????
I dont go fishing.....I go boating and catch the occasional fish.

Rockinrobertson

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 27
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2011, 04:15:36 pm »
I will be fishing the Derwent opening as our club is running the Inter Club Comp;. Should be a good weekend and there are plenty of trout in the Derwent as I have found out (Mostly through others) I did get a few last year had a day out and got 8 so that's my best up there, but looking to improve on that this time. As for Meadowbank a mate of mine fished there last week and landed 1 brown of a couple of pound and that was about it. I don't rate Meadowbank that highly personally I find it a very frustrating place. The only time I ever really fish it is when they stock it with Salmon and then that's when the fun begins. I find around the brudge is quite good for them as they tend to hang around close to where they were released and also up the top side of the bridge in the river where the flowing water is.
As for Tooms I had two day trips there last year and we nailed about 20 all up. Most were released, but some very nice Brownies upto 4LB. Had one day where that was all we caught and the next was some of the rainbows that were released there which were upto 2LB. They grew very fast I must say and I would expect them to be 3-4LB by now judging from the growth rates from last year. That water should go ok this year seeing as its been full for a while now. Hopefully it gets back to the good days of 6-7LB Rainbows and browns. Now that was a good place to fish then.
The other water that has my attention this year is Lake Crescent. With the water turbidity being the clearest in many years and some big fish starting to appear I think this water will be worth a look. I used to fish it as a kid and it was an amazing place. I really hope it gets back to the way it was as I had some memorable trips fishing from the shore on the island. We used to walk over there from the big old pine tree near the Lake Sorell Canal when I was young. That was a fair hike for a young fella, but I remember those days like they were yesterday.
Regards,
Tony

little pig

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2011, 04:17:56 pm »
   thumbsup1 I agree can be frustrating but its close and the chance of a big fish may stir me into a visit. Cheers

Chris

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2011, 04:36:24 pm »
Thanks Tony.... Informative as always mate goodjob1

John, maybe we should give Meadowbank a run in the near future? I am sure that we coul convince a few others to make the journey and maybe get a few boats out on the water..... think1 I am pretty sure Joe Gadget would be up for it, if we can convince Nick to come Andrew and Petey might tag along and I reckon Justin might be itching to get the new tub wet, so will see if he wants to come too..... Might be something to consider and knock out a plan!

little pig

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2011, 04:51:19 pm »
Sounds like a plan. when you return l;ets sit down with the diary and book it in. We can then post it and may even make it a FBT meet and greet

Chris

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2011, 05:16:15 pm »
Done deal!

Nick? You going to drag your boat up too? Justin? ditto Nick?

JD LURES

• Forum Supporter
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2011, 08:19:27 pm »
Well

I will miss this years opening being in QLD but if my last two openings are anything to go by I cant do any worse  embaress1
By the looks of it a few inland places will want to thaw a bit or we may all be taking the auger to cut our hole for some American style ice fishing  think1

JD

Brad

• Global Moderator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 336
  • -Receive: 552
  • Liked: 5
  • Referrals: 6
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2011, 08:47:31 pm »
I just watched a funny extreme fishing ep on ice fishing.  I'll stick by the fire thanks whistlingdixie1
Whens the next adventure?

topgear2

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2011, 04:02:39 pm »
Not. Real sure yet. Possible. Derwent or might. Go to the  lakes for a look just depends on where I am told to drive to by insanity 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal