Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My last two trips of the 2018/19 trout season (short version)  (Read 284 times)

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2286
  • -Receive: 916
  • Liked: 7
  • Referrals: 2
Short version of my last two trips of the 2018/19 trout season..

April 27th The day before..

Had a hunt around on Google Earth to find a new small tannin water to try out to see if there may be a trout or two in one. Did find one that I had found several years ago and forgot all about it. Was a little undecided about going today(27th) due to gale force winds & rain showers, plus the wind chill factor was making the temp feel like 0.01 degrees. I did decided to brave the elements and found it wasn't too bad once I was in the stream as it had quite a lot of wind breaking foliage along both sides of it. Spent just over two hours in the small tannin stream & managed to catch & release nine browns from thirteen hook ups, plus having several light hit & misses. Gold Aglia Mouche Noire did the job before the trout went off the gold, changed to a copper Aglia and that finished off the job on the trout. Wind became stronger and the rain became heavier which put an end to the spin session..Best trout went 525 grams, all trout were released as always. Well worth putting up with the conditions for a couple of hours any way.. Trout season closes at midnight tomorrow night..
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Trout taken here..
Lovely dark tannin water wild brown trout..
Well conditioned brown
Skinny water..

April 28th Season closure..

Being the last day of the 2018/19 trout season I tried another small tannin water that I've never fished. Hoping it may be holding a trout or two I was lucky enough to catch & release a few wild brown trout. It wasn't the easiest of waters to fish, plenty of hurdles to get over. Felt like I was in the Grand National Steeple chase several times, not the easiest of areas to fish that's for sure... still it was worth the effort flicking the Mepps copper aglia spinner around for just the eight trout caught.
Finished the season on 573 trout caught from 75 trips with just three trout being kept. well down on last season when I caught 648 trout in 92 trips with five trout kept. I'm reasonably happy with how my season ended even though it was well down on the previous season, 17 less trips didn't help either due to the body slowing down a little more each season..
Not the easiest of starts here..
Well worth the effort fishing these little out of the way tannin waters in no mans land..
Not a big fish, but a real battler..
The little aglia spinner has now been retired, it had caught 40 plus trout in it's time in these tannin waters..

cheers
Adrian (meppstas)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 07:12:55 pm by meppstas »
Tackle Tactics, Mepps, Okuma & Platypus lines Pro Team Member..

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 532
  • -Receive: 473
  • Liked: 0
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
My last two trips of the 2018/19 trout season (short version)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 11:36:16 am »
Nice finish to the season on the rivers, Adrian - even though you felt it was a bit short of your usual season's score.  A couple of nice, challenging little streams to tackle, too, to round the season off!

I didn't front for closing weekend this year; weather wasn't too flush down this end either, and all my local streams were empty of trout the previous two or three visits, so I didn't see much point.  Had a couple of shots at the Huon a week or so earlier, in the fast water above Judbury, for one more escaped Atlantic that came home for the freezer and a tidy little half-kilo sea runner that went back in the river.

Now it's all over, red rover, until August!  cry1

PointerLureProject

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 24
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 01:52:17 pm »
Nice to see you found a few good fish to wrap up the season.  Whilst I understand your lament at not getting out as much as you once could, to put it into perspective I had my best trout season ever in my 42 years with 26 fish landed  embaress1

I headed to New Norfolk to test some new lures, and whilst I managed to raise a couple of good fish I didn't manage to hook one.  So I had to resort to poor man's trout by hitting up the Lower Derwent and catching a half dozen bream instead.

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2286
  • -Receive: 916
  • Liked: 7
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 07:34:37 pm »
  Thanks Paul & Nathan..

Paul I was lucky in trying a couple of small tannin streams that were pretty well sheltered as they had heavy foliage along both sides which stopped a lot of the gale force winds..
 I was undecided whether to go or not on the weekend, glad I did in the end..

Nathan, well done on the 42 trout, nothing wrong with that at all, now you can use that as the target to beat next season.. thumbsup1

cheers
Adrian
Tackle Tactics, Mepps, Okuma & Platypus lines Pro Team Member..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal