Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: From Betsy to iron pot  (Read 423 times)

Zimmer

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 33
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 0
From Betsy to iron pot
« on: June 09, 2019, 08:13:24 pm »
Gooday all     put in at south arm ramp at 6 am and headed to the back end of Betsy hoping for a gummy or even better a snapper. Arrived to find the commercial crayers ha set about 100 pots in the area so needed to navigate these in the pre dawn hue. Anyway due to not having much experience in this area and not being prepared to burley we decided to drift and cover some ground. After 2 hours and 4 lost rigs in kelp or weed we only had 4 flatties and a wrasse to our name from around the seaward sides of betsy.  We headed back towards the pot and about half way decided on a drop in about 20 mtrs . Well in the next 3 hours we had managed another 25 flatties that were all size plus 10mm or a bit more. Only 3 were undersize which was suprising cause normally its the other way round. Dont know if it was the bigger size 7 /0 hooks that helped or just lucky timing. We used bought squid heads and woolies prawns for bait. Anyway had a great morning and some tasty flats for dinner.   Cheers

WazzaB

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 34
  • It didn't get away - I just released it early
From Betsy to iron pot
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 06:21:32 pm »
 Nice trip.  Good to see you got some decent sized flathead.  We were going to head out but it was just a bit windier and choppier than I like it so we decided to wait for another day.

We have not tried mid way back to the pot in that deep - we have found the bigger ones this season in real close in only about 6m.   

I reckon you must have caught all the 31cm ones I threw back early in the season - they must be about that big by now. grin1 grin1 grin1

Re the much publicised Betsy Reef which supposedly holds all the snapper.  We have done a few trips over that way this season but can't find any reef holding anything other than kelpies. 

Well done on a good trip.

Cheers
Warren 
Warren

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 516
  • -Receive: 463
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
From Betsy to iron pot
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 07:33:12 am »
Thanks guys: good to see someone's still out there having a go.  The site has been so quiet lately I was starting to think everyone had hibernated for the winter!

Speaking of which, I guess we'll be starting to see the bigger the flatties closer inshore again soon - I understand they come into the shallows to breed late winter / early spring? 

Can anyone give us some definitive guide as to how you recognise a female in roe while it's still alive and able to be put back (as opposed to "oops: bugger!" when you cut it open later)?

Earlybird

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 16
From Betsy to iron pot
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 12:12:41 pm »
 Generally the female fish are the bigger ones and fight a bit harder other than that I don'tknow
cheers

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal