Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Still big Salmon in Craigbourne and plenty of trout  (Read 232 times)

PointerLureProject

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 15
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 0
Still big Salmon in Craigbourne and plenty of trout
« on: April 15, 2019, 01:16:41 pm »
Headed out Saturday morning (13/4) with the purpose of testing a new colour in our lure range.   Headed to craigbourne as it's my closest dam/lake and has been fishing really well for trout.  Also figured one of those monster salmon would be fun.

Arrived around 7am with a literal line up of boats waiting to launch and with the ramp well and truly exposed due to low water levels, had a laugh at people trying to get their half cabs in the drink.

Hit the water with a bit of chop and 6-8 boats and a couple of kayaks already working.  Did a quick lap in the bay and dam wall for nothing but reddies so headed on down to the wooded section at the far end.   One angler in a boat hooked an atlantic which busted him off at the net on 20lb gear.  The poor dude was so pumped up from the fight he near had a heart attack.

Trolled down the middle for nought and back into the Bay where the trout like to sit and hooked up to a solid 50cm Brown that put on a good fight behind the yak and nearly won his freedom with a big last ditch run under the yak.

Getting bored I decided to cross the dam and back again and around 1/4 way on the return journey hooked another fish which I called for a trout with 3 huge leaps and then a short run.  Retrieving my second line which was equipped with 15lb gear, I started to wind in my "trout" which then became the weight of a bus and I realised I'd accidently hooked one of the stocked salmon, on 6lb line and a 2-4kg rod.

The fight lasted maybe 30 seconds as the fish just sat on the bottom and as I tried to pressure it up, the line popped at the leader.   The most disappointing thing was that it had escaped with my prototype lure, the only one I had.

Content that the lures worked and the dam full of anglers called it a morning after 3 hours content with my small haul.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Triff

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 02:49:20 pm »
Good read mate. Bad luck on dropping the donkey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 506
  • -Receive: 457
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 03:02:34 pm »
That's a well-conditioned trout for your efforts.  There were a heap transferred as adults from spawning runs at Arthur's, I believe - seems like they've done well since the move.

PointerLureProject

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 09:56:10 am »
That's a well-conditioned trout for your efforts.  There were a heap transferred as adults from spawning runs at Arthur's, I believe - seems like they've done well since the move.

I was wondering where they had come from as I don't believe IFS have posted about a Brown Trout stocking at the Dam?  Would also explain why this girl was absolutely chockers full of eggs as well.

Craigbourne is certainly full of action at the moment with Brown and Rainbow Trout in good numbers as well as the Salmon.

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2250
  • -Receive: 901
  • Liked: 7
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 12:30:43 pm »
The IFS stocked them there back on the 25th May 2018, there were 1100 adult browns @ 850 grams all from Liawenee Canal, trout were all diploid fish so they could spawn..

Most female trout are carrying eggs now with the spawning season approaching they're already running up the canal at Liawenee, good time for catch & release with the trout unless the fish has been damaged from being caught.
I'd say any river or creek that flows into the dam would be holding a few trout as well..

cheers
Adrian
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 05:40:34 pm by meppstas »
Tackle Tactics & Okuma Pro Team Member..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal