Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dart Bank  (Read 592 times)

rogun

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 55
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 1
Dart Bank
« on: April 13, 2019, 10:56:18 am »
Hi there,
Thought that I would post a recent trip last Thursday, down to the Dart Bank, or I should say about 3 Nm out from there.
We put the boat in at Dodges Ferry ramp at about 10 am, Late start,
Its a fair run down there and we faced a swell of about 2-2.5 meters, not too bad or so we thought.
We arrived and I dropped the first berley bomb over the side, may as well have saved all the berley as my deckie began heaving peas and carrots everywhere within 10 minutes.. laugh1
I guess we all know what colour a Greengage is, Well that was my deckie  shame1.
We managed to stay there for around 3 hours and caught a couple of very good flatties and hauled aboard 2 Schoolies that I am sure had been fed steroids. As it turned out when they hit the deck they both spat out heaps of tiny octopus and crabs.
We kept the flatchaps and released one of the schoolies and headed back up for smoother waters. I have to admit that I was also glad to be leaving that swell, and the peas and carrots for calmer waters.
About half way back my Deckie suggested that the day was done and could not take anymore.
Then the truth came out that the late start, was due to a last minute decision to go on a bender the night before.
And an admission that it would definitely not happen again.  blahblah1 blahblah1
Does everyone else suffer after a bender the night before going out, lol
I have no pity on self inflicted inducement of sea sickness,  laugh1 grin1 drinks1 drinks1
cheers!

« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 05:02:48 pm by rogun »

meninaboat

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 2
  • Referrals: 0
Dart Bank
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 11:29:49 am »
I head down there abt twice a tuna season from Primrose Sands.   A fair run yes abt 60 ltrs of petrol from my 90 hp.   I insist on passengers taking a sea sick tablet for that trip of Pirates Bay /  or out through the narrows.    Did you put lures in  at the Nubeena reef?   and going passed Wedge rock.     We usually put in a net or two on the way down there just to make sure we have something on the table that night.         Yes grog the night b4 is silly.      I havent had success with tuna there.      Norfolk Bay is really slowing down now.  Salmon virtually gone.   F/H  very slow several days ago only got 7 squid.

rogun

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Dart Bank
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 01:08:52 pm »
Hi there,
I didnt troll on the way down, only on the way back, I was actually hoping to cross path with a YTK fish but to no avail. We berleyed and used live baits for the schoolies. Two nice ones abut 3Nm out according to GPS.
As for nets, I dont have any, not sure of the regulations for them, costs associated, or the sizes etc, nor where they can be set.
Maybe someone with the wisdom can advise those of us that are not familiar with the information.
I have not been down there often myself but it appeared to be great bottom on the Simrad, the thought entered my mind if Stripey Trumpeter could be about. But didnt try as the deckie was in no condition,
By the way, Deckie did take a pill before leaving the ramp, but it did not stay down long enough i guess, lol
I ventured out into Fredrick Henry a couple of days ago and set a big hook into a Thresher shark of fair size but it broke off at the side of the boat, good release as I dont think we are allowed to take sharks from there anyway. Managed a couple of size flatchaps right in close to Slopen Island, about two to three meters. But no Calamari. Interesting to see two small what appeared to be snapper swim right up into the bereley at the back of the boat, but then kept going by.

Paikea

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 141
Dart Bank
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 08:12:37 am »
 QUOTE;    I have no pity for,Etc

That is a sure way to bring KARMA to yourself. Just watch out every time that you go out in future, it will catch up with you!

BTW not familiar with your local names for fish what are "schoolies"

And what kind of nets can you use in Tassie. Try that on the mainland and you would be keelhauled by fellow anglers. That is before the man with the book in his hand tells you that your boat and gear have been confiscated with a hefty fine to come.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Cheers

Paikea

PAIKEA

rogun

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Dart Bank
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 05:00:32 pm »
Sometimes referred to as school shark, but in my case fortunate enough to pick up a pair of school bluefin in great condition, one kept because it bled quite a bit the other released.
I dont use nets at present because I havent checked our regulations, I believe they use graball nets.
I am fairly sure that there are certain areas that we can still set them.
If anyone is up on the rules etc, mesh sizes,
feel free to make comment,
we can all learn. And no doubt it will make interesting reading for all.
Cheers   

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal