Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Doing it tough!  (Read 306 times)

Paikea

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 141
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 1
Doing it tough!
« on: April 07, 2019, 10:26:37 am »
The boss and I went on a trip to Alaska in 2016 including a cruise up to the glaciers and a bush pilot plane trip to the start of the (winter) Ice Road beyond the Arctic Circle.

We met a trapper who lived there in a log cabin that he built. Talk about a tough life, there was a trapdoor in the floor that led to a cavity in the permafrost that served as his refrigerator.

When they killed a Moose or Deer the meat had to be stored in a box mounted in a tree to keep it away from the bears. Grizzlies and Black bears. He had stories  of Grizzlies tearing the doors of a Volkswagen to get at some food inside.

We also visited a place that trained teams of sled dogs who take part in the  Ididerat the iconic annual dog sled race from Anchorage to Nome, a distance of 1509 Kms.

The boss was most interested and ended up getting invited to join a Facebook  site from Alaska. As a result she has been following progress of the current race where one "Musher" posts regular videos of his progress. Talk about tough men and even tougher dogs. Well below zero temperature the Musher spreads straw on the ice at the compulsory stops and beds down on it next to his dogs. The dogs wear special leather shoes to protect their feet and appear to love the run.

Looking at the 22 degree blue water of the Pacific and the sun shining for a magic day at home today I take my hat off to the men and woman who take part in the  Ididerat, they are just awesome.

Different from a fishing story but I thought that it might be of interest to some of you.

Cheers

Paikea

PAIKEA

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 514
  • -Receive: 462
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
Doing it tough!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 01:55:33 pm »
Whoahh, mate!  I could just about manage a day out there if it was by a river with some salmon or steelhead running.  But 1500-odd kms across country on a dog sled?  Nope - count me out!

Love their groovy pink boots, in your photo!

Imo

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
  • Referrals: 0
Doing it tough!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 08:37:12 am »
Geez, I'm feeling pretty soft right now!

Great story!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal