Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Trout go for the new "PLP" hardbody lure.  (Read 156 times)

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2247
  • -Receive: 897
  • Liked: 7
  • Referrals: 2
Trout go for the new "PLP" hardbody lure.
« on: March 13, 2019, 05:25:18 pm »
Given it was a beautiful cool & frosty morning I decided to head off for an early spin session to see if I could catch three more trout to reach the 400 mark for this season.
It's been a tough one for me so far and being around 120 or more trout down for the same time last season, reaching the 400 mark will make up for my poor season.
Also I wanted to try out a couple of new hard body lures from one of our site members Paddlefish who makes & sells his own lures under the name "Pointer Lure Project"..
First of all I started off in a shallow stretch of river and had to use the Mepps spinners where I could only manage the one small brown in freezing conditions.

**PS: Click on photos to enlarge...
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Very cold conditions early this morning..
Just the one small brown taken early..

I decided to head off and try another area further downstream that I knew would at least have some sun on it and I could warm up a little, also it was an area I haven't fished for two seasons. It was a little deeper and would be more suited to the larger hard body lures I wanted to try out on the trout.. First one I tried was the 57 mm Sandy a shallow sinking lure, it had a great action and it did attract the attention of a couple of browns. The stretch of river I was fishing wasn't quite deep enough for it and a few times it bottom bounced and became fouled with some green cotton like algae. That was a real shame as I'm sure it would have picked up a trout or two as the session went on, I will give it a go in a deeper run on my next trip. So it was on with the 55 mm Green/ black stripes floating shallow diving lure, not sure what the name is but it only took three casts with it before I had a solid brown smash it. A nice 410 gram brown made it's way into the net. I was now on 399 for the season, all I was hoping for today was to catch three trout after that I didn't care. It only took another five minutes when I flicked the green lure to the top end of the stretch of river I was fishing when the lure was taken again. This time it peeled line from the reel big time & stayed deep, I knew then this was one decent size brown and patience was a must. Knowing I had number 400 on the end of the line I was feeling a little on edge, it took me close on ten minutes playing this fish before I finally had it in the net.
The first brown taken on the green lure.
Close up of the first trout caught on the hard body.
Trout No 400.. 1.3kgs of beauty..
Close up of trout No 400.
He's on his way..
Another of the browns taken on the green hard body lure..

It was a beauty, a well conditioned wild brown that really put the fine 4 lb mono & hard body lure to the test, both came out on top and so did I.. trout number 400 was landed, photographed then released back into the river.. I was really stocked to catch a quality fish, something I wasn't expecting to do today at all.. I fished on and caught another three nice browns from four hook ups in what finished up being a very good few hours in the river. So any one who's looking for some quality hard body lures that have a great action and do catch trout as well as being very, very reasonable priced (only $8-00 ea)

* checkout the video my spin session on YouTube..

I recommend you get onto https://editor7272.wixsite.com/mysite  or email Nathan at  pointerlureproject@gmail.com

cheers
Adrian
Tackle Tactics & Okuma Pro Team Member..

Mullet

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 4
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 06:59:27 pm »
 Looks like a lovely spot to go fishing even if you hadnít caught anything

telr

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 53
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 10:56:43 am »
You're a legend, Adrian, that first shot looks cold enough to be winter, and my joints were twinging just looking at it! Well done on the milestone, the work you put in puts a lot of young anglers to shame, not to mention we other old buggers! Great photos, great report, great fish from a great angler.

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2247
  • -Receive: 897
  • Liked: 7
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 12:24:26 pm »
You're a legend, Adrian, that first shot looks cold enough to be winter, and my joints were twinging just looking at it! Well done on the milestone, the work you put in puts a lot of young anglers to shame, not to mention we other old buggers! Great photos, great report, great fish from a great angler.

Thanks for your comments telr, very much appreciated as always, don't worry my joints are feeling it too.. I put heat patches on my lower back, hips & right shoulder before I left home..

They help me a lot & I use them on every fishing trip to the rivers now days.. Each year it's getting a little bit tougher on the body, still not ready to call it a day yet..  thumbsup1
I swear by the heat patches, they really do get me through the day.. I get them on Ebay & they're reasonably priced too..

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20X12-packs-w-carton-Salonpas-Patches-Plasters-Pain-Relief-Arthritis-Back/321356345996?hash=item4ad254b28c:g:~NUAAOSwo4pYR8-T

I buy the back of 144 heat patches.. ( 12packs of 12 heat patches in each packet)

cheers
Adrian
Tackle Tactics & Okuma Pro Team Member..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal