Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A couple of good fish from Craigbourne Dam  (Read 212 times)

PointerLureProject

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 12
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 0
A couple of good fish from Craigbourne Dam
« on: March 11, 2019, 10:59:44 am »
After spending most of this year concentrating on Bream, both in regards to fishing and painting colours for, I decided to head out to Craigbourne Dam to see how our lures would go.

The session was serving dual duties, as I wanted to both catch some nice trout, but to also test our DR57S - Sandy and the new LSP55D - Sergeant Major, which is the first deep diver in that range.

The plan was to hit the Dam at first light but as usual I snoozed the alarm due to persistent drizzle and arrived around 7.30am with low cloud and a few light showers greeting me.

The fish were loving it with schools of baby redfin hanging behind the weeds almost touching distance from the ramp.   The water level is very low and the ramp is fully exposed which will prevent most boats from accessing the water for a while.

Prepping the Kayak I saw a big boil behind the school and hastily pushed off and cast out the shallow diving "Sandy" behind the spot where I saw the fish rise.   I had barely begun retrieving the lure when I felt pressure, not a real hard take, but I set the hooks anyway and came up tight on good weight.

The fish responded with a short run and a whole bunch of crocodile rolls and I knew a good Brown Trout must be on the other end.  Bringing it to the Yak I was surprised by the size as the fight was subdued due to the line being wrapped several times around its body.  The fish then rolled in the opposite direction which freed the line allowing it to this time take a longer, more spirited run.

At this point I'd remembered that the lure had a damaged front split ring, the result of the line getting caught in it and me being lazy just yanked the line out, straightening most of the ring.

If by telepathy I then felt the line "ping" as the treble pulled free but thankfully the rear set was lodged tight in the fishes mouth and was led to the net without further incident.  Gotta love BKK wide gap trebles, these things stick hard, unfortunately into everything as evidenced by holes in my car seats and clothing.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Working the shore for a while longer I inevitably came across a bunch of XS reddies which couldn't resist the deeper diving "Sergeant Major" so headed off for the wooded section at the bottom of the Dam.

Trolling along I was trying to get reception on my phone when the "Sandy" equipped rod started to scream and peel line from the reel.  In typically calamitous scenes, I couldn't get the second line in, nor my phone back into my pocket so I dropped it on deck and got into the fight.

This fish was enthusiastic with some good runs and when I got it to the yak I discovered why, a solid Rainbow Trout which I believe where stocked there a good 6 months ago.

I love these fish as the fight is always hard and often dirty, as this one also proved, going straight under my craft and trying to snag me onto the mirage drive.  To avoid this I stuck the rod down hard into the water, almost to the reel to cox it out.  Some leaps and tail walks later and the fish came to the net.

Unfortunately the fish suffered hook damage so unlike the earlier brown couldn't be released, so he was despatched, destined for a friends dinner plate.

The next hour was spent catching Reddies which I fed to the local pair of Sea Eagles.   It's amazing and somewhat scary watching these guys fly just above you to retrieve the fish thrown into the water close by.  The sheer size up close and the sound of their wings beating is inspiring and intimidating.

With no way of keeping my catch cold, I called the session early to go grab some ice and deliver the bow to an eagerly awaiting friend, who I believe gave up a roast meal that night to instead cook up this delicious fish.

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 500
  • -Receive: 450
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 03:09:06 pm »
Two nice fish in surprisingly good condition, given how warm it has been over the summer.  well done!

Great ad for your lures, too!

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2247
  • -Receive: 897
  • Liked: 7
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 06:08:36 pm »
Great report Nathan and nice to see the lures doing their job too.. Hoping to get in a river soon to give a couple of them a go.
Lower back problems kept me home over the weekend which ticked me right off  furious1 as the conditions where ideal up here, overcast & humid.. doh1

cheers
Adrian
Tackle Tactics & Okuma Pro Team Member..

PointerLureProject

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 08:24:43 am »
Great report Nathan and nice to see the lures doing their job too.. Hoping to get in a river soon to give a couple of them a go.
Lower back problems kept me home over the weekend which ticked me right off  furious1 as the conditions where ideal up here, overcast & humid.. doh1

cheers
Adrian

I feel your pain Adrian, I've spent a lot of hours over the weekend painting up lures and paid the price for it yesterday as I could barely walk with lower back pain, due to using a kitchen chair to sit on, being too tight/lazy, to buy a quality stool.

I'm a fairly young 41 however and I really, really need to start treating my body a lot better so I can fish well into my retirement

PointerLureProject

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 09:21:40 am »
Two nice fish in surprisingly good condition, given how warm it has been over the summer.  well done!

Great ad for your lures, too!

I was surprised by the condition of the Brown, especially as it's likely he is some sort of resident, not a stocked fish.

Certainly some good self-promotion there, however we are genuinely dedicated to selling a quality product at the most affordable price.  We want to see every angler have the opportunity to try lure fishing without breaking the bank, but also having the best chance of success.

telr

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 53
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 10:32:59 am »
Mate, I feel for your problems (back, etc) and reckon I can offer only one bit of advice, see a physio, get some good core/lower back exercises, and keep them up!  It's too late once the deterioration becomes chronic, because then any little health problem puts you way behind that proverbial 8-ball! We keen fishos all think we're still as bulletproof at 50 as we were at 20, and 60 equals 30 & so on, but not so. I thought I was doing OK at 69, degenerative nerve problems in lower legs and buggered discs in lower back, still hobbling around with either a walking stick or wading staff on easy ground, but now, after a burst appendix, find myself on a walker with a long recovery ahead, and relying on being driven to very easy (fished out) water to get my angling fix!  Your quest to put quality local made lures in fishers' hands at a good price is laudable at the very least, but don't stuff up your body to do it!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal