Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Derwent snapper  (Read 504 times)

cal123

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 9
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 0
Derwent snapper
« on: March 04, 2019, 11:40:38 am »
On a warm evening recently I decided to head down to the mid reaches of the Derwent to go for a quick spin with hard bodied minnows for bream. I've had a fair bit of success recently (as have other's from reports) with the slow twitching retrieve for black bream.

Anyway, as it was getting a bit darker there was a bit of surface action so I sped up my retrieve with the shallow running minnow and had some fun catching slimy mackerel, nothing big but good fun on my 2kg spin outfit.

Next thing BANG! I was on and the reel was screaming - keep in mind I run 4lb braid and a 6lb leader so the drag is fairly loose. I thought I was onto a good sized salmon but it kept trying to get down into the rocks like a bream. As it got closer in I started to see the shape and thought, 'yep bream' but on the fast retrieve, strange. When I finally got it in close I saw the red colour and couldn't believe it - a little squire snapper, about the 30cm mark. I let it go to live another day and hopefully populate the Derwent.

Anyone else been catching snapper? On lures?   

Dan

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 77
  • Liked: 1
  • Referrals: 0
Derwent snapper
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 10:49:25 am »
You'd be the first that I've heard of personally.  Few been caught on baits in the derwent, certainly not a common catch.

Hopefully a sign of things to come in the future.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal