Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Off to Port Douglos for my 80th  (Read 166 times)

Paikea

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 48
  • -Receive: 139
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 1
Off to Port Douglos for my 80th
« on: March 02, 2019, 03:01:28 pm »
The family has organised a 10 day trip to Port Douglas for my 80th. Boss and I, plus my two daughters their husbands and three grandkids.

The boys are taking me fishing in the Jardine River and maybe a nearby reef spot, should be brilliant! fish1 fish1 fish1 bounce1 bounce1

I fished a river in Broome many years ago and expect that this one will be similar. Mangrove Jack, Blue and Threadfin Salmon, all great to catch. Hopefully no crocs to steal the fish or worse.

I will take plenty of pics and post them when I get back.

Cheers all.

Paikea
PAIKEA

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 500
  • -Receive: 450
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 05:12:54 pm »
Sounds like a bloody bonzer birthday present!  envy1

We await your pictures with interest.

Taking a fly rod??

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2247
  • -Receive: 897
  • Liked: 7
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 09:00:05 am »
Good luck up there and hope you catch plenty of fish  fish1, have a great 80th Birthday with the family too..  happybirthday1

cheers
Adrian
Tackle Tactics & Okuma Pro Team Member..

Paikea

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 48
  • -Receive: 139
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 06:16:19 pm »
Thank you Adrian and Paul, much appreciate your good wishes.

We had a wonderful time with the kids and three grandkids, got a great weather window right up to the last day.

As to fishing, we went out but the heavy rain that they had been having meant mud coloured water all the way out to the heads (12 KM) and at least 5 k out.

We fished outside as the river was just too muddy. The skipper tried hard to put us on to fish but only caught small ones. Son in Law Simon caught a nice Coral Trout, just legal, Other son in law caught a 1m long "Barra" as he claims. Looked like a Barracuda to me! I caught two legal Sweetlip and between us we caught about 40 small fish (Cod, Nannygai, Sweetlip,etc, too small to bother taking pics)

The boys were dead keen and fished 65 minutes out of every hour.

Toward the end of the day we had several fish savaged by either Barracuda or the men in grey suits. The attached pic shows one that beat me to my sashimi.

Took the legal fish to the restaurant at the Marina who had told us they would cook them for us. Did a nice job but $40.00 per person plus chips extra. No vegies or any other trimmings. I thought the sashimi thieves that we struck out fishing had relatives in the restaurant.

We struck some weather on the way home, left Port Douglas at 9AM Thursday, drove to Cairns were our flight was delayed due to storms in Sydney. When we finally took off we got to Singleton where we were put into a holding pattern for what seemed a long time and then got diverted back to Brisbane. Got to a hotel there at 1 AM, had a snack, finally went to bed but woken at 4.45 AM to catch an early flight to Sydney. Buggered when we got home on Friday.

Could have been worse, it looks like FNQ is due for another hammering from a cyclone so pleased to have missed that. Having a big impact on tourism with all shops complaining that times are tough as people stay away due to the cyclones and stingers.

Cheers

Paikea (Hank)
PAIKEA

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2247
  • -Receive: 897
  • Liked: 7
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 07:18:12 pm »
Good to see you all enjoyed yourselves & the holiday as that's what counts most of all,, shame about the dirty water, at least there were a few fish caught any way..
 Wow!! $40  a head and you supplied the fish.. bit rich wasn't it.. Always nice to go away on a holiday & it's also nice to be back home too..

cheers
Adrian
Tackle Tactics & Okuma Pro Team Member..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal