Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: North-West Bay  (Read 978 times)

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 522
  • -Receive: 470
  • Liked: 0
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
North-West Bay
« on: February 09, 2019, 03:33:21 pm »
Not so much a report as a "heads-up".

I finally had a chance yesterday morning to get the boat out, and headed for NW Bay.  - Maybe a kingfish or a calamari?

In the end I didn't find either one of those, but in a shortish morning session before the wind got serious, I did find a decent school of blue (slimy) mackerel feeding happily - fair sport with a light spinning rig - and a few flathead, some of which were legal size.

Water temp there at the moment is 18.5 deg C, and I was there for the last hour of rising tide and over the calm at the top of the tide.  I suspect more action might be available on a falling tide, if you're interested in having a go.

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
North-West Bay
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 02:00:51 pm »
YTK in NWBay

Headed out again this morning seeking the elusive kings in NW Bay.  Tide at the peak as I got on the water, temp around 17.5 deg C, sky overcast with a smoke haze.

Found action within 100 metres of the boat ramp.  Spun some lures to find it was blue mackerel.  Fun, but not what I was after.

Tucked in to a favourite squid spot and proceeded to get follows from good-size calamari, which snuck up behind the jig, tickled it but wouldn't commit.  Changed jigs (size and colours) several times, all for the same result.  Phooey!

Ran over to Coningham in search of more co-operative squid.  Didn't find any, but got a feed of flathead - half a dozen size out of maybe 10 boated.  Backing out from the shore at the end of a drift at one stage, I looked down beside the boat to find a good-sized kingfish had come up to investigate the commotion.  It faded away into the depths and no amount of lure chucking would tempt it to make itself evident again. So near, yet nowhere near!

Tide starting to fall by now, I headed back to squid spot number one, to see if they were feeling a bit more willing.  One long drift brought several follows but again, no commitment.  Fickle beasts!

Then heading back towards the ramp, some surface activity prompted me to whip a lure out and I found I was onto a school of really solid blackback - 1-1.5 kilo size.  Pulled like trains, and gave my 15lb rig a workout.  They were moving very fast, so I had to keep gunning the boat after them, pause and cast/retrieve (fast, in the surface, and watch the surface hits: BOOF!), boat and release the fish then chase after the school again.  Boated about a dozen, kept one for the smoker. 

Pretty worn out by lunch time and besides, the tide was down so far that if I left it any longer I'd have needed to abseil up the side of the jetty to get out of the boat, so I called it a day.

Plenty of action out there, if you look for it!

Rohan

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 771
  • -Receive: 186
North-West Bay
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 07:36:26 pm »
YTK in NWBay

Headed out again this morning seeking the elusive kings in NW Bay.  Tide at the peak as I got on the water, temp around 17.5 deg C, sky overcast with a smoke haze.

Found action within 100 metres of the boat ramp.  Spun some lures to find it was blue mackerel.  Fun, but not what I was after.

Tucked in to a favourite squid spot and proceeded to get follows from good-size calamari, which snuck up behind the jig, tickled it but wouldn't commit.  Changed jigs (size and colours) several times, all for the same result.  Phooey!

Ran over to Coningham in search of more co-operative squid.  Didn't find any, but got a feed of flathead - half a dozen size out of maybe 10 boated.  Backing out from the shore at the end of a drift at one stage, I looked down beside the boat to find a good-sized kingfish had come up to investigate the commotion.  It faded away into the depths and no amount of lure chucking would tempt it to make itself evident again. So near, yet nowhere near!

Tide starting to fall by now, I headed back to squid spot number one, to see if they were feeling a bit more willing.  One long drift brought several follows but again, no commitment.  Fickle beasts!

Then heading back towards the ramp, some surface activity prompted me to whip a lure out and I found I was onto a school of really solid blackback - 1-1.5 kilo size.  Pulled like trains, and gave my 15lb rig a workout.  They were moving very fast, so I had to keep gunning the boat after them, pause and cast/retrieve (fast, in the surface, and watch the surface hits: BOOF!), boat and release the fish then chase after the school again.  Boated about a dozen, kept one for the smoker. 

Pretty worn out by lunch time and besides, the tide was down so far that if I left it any longer I'd have needed to abseil up the side of the jetty to get out of the boat, so I called it a day.

Plenty of action out there, if you look for it!
A good sized blue mackerel in the smoker might surprise I have filleted and grilled them fresh they are ok

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
North-West Bay
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 06:18:45 am »
Yes, for sure.  Mackerel used to be a staple food in the UK and much of Europe.  Great smoked, but also the way the Scots do them: butterflied or filleted, coated in crushed rolled oats, then dry grilled.  Super yummy!

Rohan

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 771
  • -Receive: 186
North-West Bay
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 06:36:08 pm »
Yes, for sure.  Mackerel used to be a staple food in the UK and much of Europe.  Great smoked, but also the way the Scots do them: butterflied or filleted, coated in crushed rolled oats, then dry grilled.  Super yummy!
Also a very good livies for kingfish

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal