Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Took a dive & drowned another camera...  (Read 403 times)

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2250
  • -Receive: 901
  • Liked: 7
  • Referrals: 2
Took a dive & drowned another camera...
« on: February 08, 2019, 11:47:30 am »
   Took a dive & drowned another camera.

** Click on photos to enlarge... thumbsup1

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]  
Great weather conditions early morning
Crossed over here, plenty of water coming down..                                 

With the weather being humid & very heavy cloud cover I thought a trip to the Mersey River  may be well worth it. I love fishing in humid conditions as it always seems to get the fish up and running. I was in the river by 6:10 am and the water was like glass, not only that there were a few trout on the rise in several areas on the river. I decided I'd fish the fast water to start with before working my way up through a long slow flowing stretch of river. After that I would be back into the fast water runs again and that's where it will be my best chance of catching a few trout. The first stretch of fast water I fished didn't give a yelp, not a sign of a trout, the slow flowing water wasn't any better either. It hasn't given up all that many fish this season so I bypassed the majority of it, though I did have a couple of follows from medium size browns.
Calm water, no trout..
Spot the Sea Eagle..

The slow flowing stretch was getting a little deep so I had to get out & do a bit of bush bashing to reach an area where I could get back in and wade again. As I bush bashed my way along the river bank I managed to get my foot hooked up on a tree branch in the deep grass etc, that sent me sideways and straight into the river. Thankfully it was waist deep but still deep enough to saturated me and get enough water inside the waders to wet me all the way to my feet. The wader belt did stop the water getting though to my pants etc,  my Canon camera which was my main concern. I quickly grabbed the camera and shook the hell out of it to get rid of as much water as possible. I had nothing to dry it with because I was wet from head to toe so all I could do was shake it and blow on it. I hit the on button and it turned on, then I hit the photo button and it worked before it shut down on me. It was then I thought my little $330 Canon cameras days were over and done with.
Time for a bit of bush bashing..
Tripped & fell in ten meters further on.. fell to the right instead of to the left.. doh1
Photo from the camera as soon as I got out of the river..

With my spin session now done & dusted it was a mad thirty minute dash back to the car and once there I put the camera on the dash and put the heater on and the fan on high in the hope that would dry it. I didn't even get out of my waders, just jumped in and headed for home which was around fifteen minutes away. Once home I had a quick change of clothes, grabbed Pam's hair dryer and gave the camera a few minutes of warm air. It, did the trick, the camera worked, apart from a couple of small water spots on the inside of the lens. I took a couple of photos of my lures & lures boxes drying out as well as a short video report and all was good with it.. One thing I do remember clearly is when I got out of the river I just cracked up laughing at what had just happened.. Even as I wrote this report I'm still chuckling over what happened this morning.  I've since tried the camera several times again only to find it has gone backwards as isn't working at all.. It is knackered, totally stuffed so a new one is now required and once I get the new one it will be placed in a waterproof camera bag...  whistlingdixie1
Drying out the tackle..
Don't know why I carry so much tackle with me..

** PS: I have the new camera, same model as before..
The replacement camera.. now $110 cheaper now than the other one due to newer models being out....

cheers
Adrian
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 11:52:27 am by meppstas »
Tackle Tactics & Okuma Pro Team Member..

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 506
  • -Receive: 457
  • Liked: 0
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 06:24:36 am »
Well, well: seems I'm not the only one who takes an occasional dip while out river fishing!

Mind you, most of us others generally only go down while wading - already in the river.  We don't usually take a header in off the bank!   oops1  laugh1

Bummer about the camera, though.  And no fish, either!  Not your best day out, eh?

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 08:26:47 am »
Yes, it was just one of those long over due days Paul..

cheers
Adrian

AlanG

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 01:50:52 pm »
Thanks Adrian,

Gee, it's a relief to see such an accomplished fisherman carrying (a tiny bit) more gear on the the water than I do.  My family wouldn't believe it's possible.   thatsenough1  grin1

Cheers, Al

Gravy

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 05:40:35 pm »
Not good, I could relate worse mishaps while fishing however am too embarrassed to do so. One day I might get the gumption to post some details.

Cheers, Gravy

mahimahi

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 18
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 07:12:03 pm »
Few years back I had an unplanned ocean swim at eagle hawk neck, would have preferred a fresh water bath than a salt water one  cold2

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 06:02:44 pm »
Thanks guys, we've all had a tumble in the water at one stage in our fishing days I reckon, well I know I've had quite a few over the 54 years of trout fishing the rivers..   doh1

Al, I sometimes wonder why I carry half the trout lures as I never get to use half of them while chasing trout.. But they're there just in case.. grin1 grin1

cheers
Adrian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal