Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dennes point area  (Read 494 times)

Zimmer

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 27
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 0
Dennes point area
« on: February 04, 2019, 08:28:45 pm »
Managed to get a few hours in sunday morning around the dennes point area for a bit of a bottom bash.  Headed out of dru point about 5.30 in virtually flat calm conditions. First drop was about 300m off dennes tinderbox side but could only manage small flatties. Moved round towards adventure bay with several drops for the same result. Next stop was around iron pot and the bays close in at south arm that normally produce a few. Same story.  Thought might as well wander over to betsy and try for a snapper or gummy after about 10 minutes the larger fish seemed to come on and managed 6 in about 20 minutes then everything shut down. Proceeded to fish that area for another hour then headed back having a few drops on the way. Found them back on the bite about 500 meters north of dennes point and picked up another 4 size. Plenty of 270 to 300 about as well as the usual dog sharks which are a bit of a pain.  Had a spin near the farms in north west bay but no takers so trolled back to the ramp happy with the days outing.  Couldnt believe how many boats were out enjoying the day.  Also saw a few pretty serious looking fishers just off the boat ramp spinning hard for possible kingfish. Wonder if that was the case cause that would be great if they are in that close.  Cheers.

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 506
  • -Receive: 457
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
Dennes point area
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 06:23:40 am »
You certainly covered some ground, Zimmer!  Thank you for the report; sounds like an enjoyable day out.

What's a "dog shark"?

The keen guys spinning could well have been seeking kingfish: the last few years, when the kings are in NW Bay, they have been found at various spots all along that Margate/Electrona/Snug shore, mostly among the moored boats and around jetties etc.

Zimmer

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 27
Dennes point area
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 08:33:42 pm »
I might have had the name a bit wrong but after a bit of research have found that they are called a white spotted dogfish which resembles a gummy shark but has hard spines in front of both dorsal fins. They commonly grow to about 80cm but can reach 1mtr. As a young fella i used to catch these off the old beach jetty in the real early 80's as well as really big cod.  Cheers and thanks for the reply

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 506
  • -Receive: 457
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
Dennes point area
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 05:40:47 am »
Thanks, Zimmer: that makes sense.

By the bye, does anyone here keep dogfish (providing they're of size, and taken outside a shark protection zone)?

I understand they are pretty good eating, not that different from gummy.  In the UK where I grew up, we used to buy something called "rock salmon" at the fishmonger's, and it was delicious.  I've since learned that was dogfish, and a close relative of our white-spotted one.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal