Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My 35+ year old hand painted spinner still can catch trout..  (Read 380 times)

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2297
  • -Receive: 920
  • Liked: 7
  • Referrals: 2
My 35+ year old hand painted spinner still can catch trout..
« on: February 02, 2019, 02:08:35 pm »
Hit the river at 6:00 am in what was bloody cold conditions, around 4 degrees.. Fine after 9:00am once the sun was high in the sky. Spent just on 6 hours chasing trout in started off poorly with me hooking & losing the first seven trout before I finally landed and small brown on the Mepps #0 Aglia brown spinner.. Lost another three after that, then decided to use a 35+ year old spinner, one that I had hand painted when I first bought several of them during a clearance sale for 50 cents each. The blades were originally chrome & the lures themselves were made in Japan. Any way no sooner had I put one on I was onto my second trout of the session, to cut a long story short I went on to catch & release another 11 trout from fourteen hook ups. A complete turn around to how that day started that's for sure. Went home feeling quite satisfied of how the day turned out in the end... After finding the three 35+ year old spinners in my lure box I remembered I had a few more tucked away in a lure box in the shed somewhere.. Had a hunt around for them today & found them.. there's the original rubber Floppy lure, Wonder Wobbler, JJ'S Lures (probably Stumpjumpers I reckon), Flatfish, Jensen insect spinners and several other old 35+ year lures most of which I hand painted when I bought them all those years ago..

cheers
Adrian.

** PS: Click on photo to enlarge,,

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Hell it was cold here..
First trout of the day thanks to the aglia brown spinner.
That little brown (above) was caught in the small flat water opposite side of river..I never bypass any water in a river..
The little 35+ yr spinner with it's first trout for around 25 years, it's been a long time unused, was used quite often in the rivers in Sth Aust catching trout & redfin..
Another brown falls to the little spinner..
Couple of trout caught here.
A few trout taken here as well all from the RHS of the river, they were hard up against the river bank in narrow flat water..
A lovely brown..
Ready for release..
Last trout of the spin session..
Called it a day here..
The little lure that turned it around for the better..
The mixture of old lures I had in the shed..

« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 03:21:00 pm by meppstas »
Tackle Tactics, Mepps, Okuma & Platypus lines Pro Team Member..

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 539
  • -Receive: 476
  • Liked: 0
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 02:25:30 pm »
Aaah, Adrian.  What a lovely day on a lovely clean river in lovely clear conditions!

A couple of nicely plump trout there, too.

Thank you so much for sharing!

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2297
  • -Receive: 920
  • Liked: 7
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 03:19:15 pm »
Thanks Paul, one thing I forgot to mention was I hooked two small (310gm) rainbows in the river today of which just the one was landed.. they're a rare catch in the Meander River now days as it's been a long time (2014/15 I think it was) when the IFS stopped stocking the river with them. The last time I caught a rainbow in the Meander was back on the 9th Jan. 2016 a fish that was around the same size. 
Tackle Tactics, Mepps, Okuma & Platypus lines Pro Team Member..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal