Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jetties can surprise!  (Read 954 times)

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 493
  • -Receive: 445
  • Liked: 0
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
Jetties can surprise!
« on: January 18, 2019, 01:21:50 pm »
I've been wound up like a spring all week, hoping to get out for a fish in the salt, but stalled because of the forecasts - daily - of south-easterlies at 20+knots.  Not big deal ordinarily, but in the southern bays and estuaries, not great conditions for a 14-foot boat!

So finally last night I had had enough; chucked a couple of rods and some tackle in the car, then headed out early this morning for Southport.  Was down there last week, just "sightseeing", and came across some chaps catching seriously 3X- and 4X-large calamari off the jetty; so I figured that would be better than nothing.

I hit the water around 7 am under an overcast sky, and popped a little cala up with my first cast.  Sweet!  Not the monsters I was after, but a promising start.  Then nothing... nothing.... nothing...

Spotted some surface activity a little way off: wondered if it might be Aus salmon or big sea-mullet, or what?  The activity came closer.  I had an outfit rigged with 15lb mono, so attached a blue+silver Abu Toby (you can't buy them any more!) and flung it out.  Had a decent follow, but no commitment.  Still, enough to show me it wasn't sambos or mullet.  A couple more casts, retrieving faster each time, brought more follows.  Still no commitment.  What would I need to do?  Cast - windwindwind, BIG RIP: BANG!

A good hundred metres of Platypus pre-test melted off the reel immediately.  Geez!  Squeeze the drag up a bit; regain some line, then another hot run.  Bit more drag; line singing under the tension, and another, shorter run.  Then some stalemate kind of give-and-take for a minute or two.  Eventually I had the fish under control, and getting it closer.  How to land it, from the jetty?  Walked carefully back to the butt end of the (quite long!) wharf with the fish floundering along beside me in the water.  Down over the huge rocks on my hands and knees, and eventually stood on firm sand, where I beached it. 

You guessed by now - yellowtail kingfish!  I was rapt.  Back up to my possie on the jetty, took a quick photo:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

(pardon the odd hat and the weird expression! - not good at selfies)

Fish just under 3 kilos: cleaned it straight away, and into the esky in the car.  By this time its mates were long gone, alas, so I resumed squidding.  One more for the morning was all I got.  Not a great squid session - but a pretty fair consolation prize, eh?!

Rohan

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 757
  • -Receive: 185
Jetties can surprise!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 06:14:34 pm »
I've been wound up like a spring all week, hoping to get out for a fish in the salt, but stalled because of the forecasts - daily - of south-easterlies at 20+knots.  Not big deal ordinarily, but in the southern bays and estuaries, not great conditions for a 14-foot boat!

So finally last night I had had enough; chucked a couple of rods and some tackle in the car, then headed out early this morning for Southport.  Was down there last week, just "sightseeing", and came across some chaps catching seriously 3X- and 4X-large calamari off the jetty; so I figured that would be better than nothing.

I hit the water around 7 am under an overcast sky, and popped a little cala up with my first cast.  Sweet!  Not the monsters I was after, but a promising start.  Then nothing... nothing.... nothing...

Spotted some surface activity a little way off: wondered if it might be Aus salmon or big sea-mullet, or what?  The activity came closer.  I had an outfit rigged with 15lb mono, so attached a blue+silver Abu Toby (you can't buy them any more!) and flung it out.  Had a decent follow, but no commitment.  Still, enough to show me it wasn't sambos or mullet.  A couple more casts, retrieving faster each time, brought more follows.  Still no commitment.  What would I need to do?  Cast - windwindwind, BIG RIP: BANG!

A good hundred metres of Platypus pre-test melted off the reel immediately.  Geez!  Squeeze the drag up a bit; regain some line, then another hot run.  Bit more drag; line singing under the tension, and another, shorter run.  Then some stalemate kind of give-and-take for a minute or two.  Eventually I had the fish under control, and getting it closer.  How to land it, from the jetty?  Walked carefully back to the butt end of the (quite long!) wharf with the fish floundering along beside me in the water.  Down over the huge rocks on my hands and knees, and eventually stood on firm sand, where I beached it. 

You guessed by now - yellowtail kingfish!  I was rapt.  Back up to my possie on the jetty, took a quick photo:

(Attachment Link)

(pardon the odd hat and the weird expression! - not good at selfies)

Fish just under 3 kilos: cleaned it straight away, and into the esky in the car.  By this time its mates were long gone, alas, so I resumed squidding.  One more for the morning was all I got.  Not a great squid session - but a pretty fair consolation prize, eh?!
Good fish and good to eat and they fight a bit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

telr

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 52
Jetties can surprise!
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 08:56:53 am »
 Thanks Red, it's always worth the wait for your posts.

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Jetties can surprise!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 10:18:07 am »

Definitely great eating.  SImple fillet off the side, skin off and trim out the pin bones and dark bits along the centre line, then light dusting with rice flour, lightly seasoned, and into a pan on moderate heat in a little unsalted butter.  I've found they don't need the "fast and hot" treatment you might give some other fish.  Succulent, white flesh with seriously good flavour!

And "fight a bit" is the understatement of the week!

Rohan

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Jetties can surprise!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 12:24:47 pm »

Definitely great eating.  SImple fillet off the side, skin off and trim out the pin bones and dark bits along the centre line, then light dusting with rice flour, lightly seasoned, and into a pan on moderate heat in a little unsalted butter.  I've found they don't need the "fast and hot" treatment you might give some other fish.  Succulent, white flesh with seriously good flavour!

And "fight a bit" is the understatement of the week!
And land based will have a lot of envious anglers out there

Dan

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 70
  • Liked: 1
Jetties can surprise!
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 10:15:13 am »
Wow, nice land based kingie. Have heard of a few being tripped up all over the place lately.

B.Marriott

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 93
  • Wake up with a line in the water
Jetties can surprise!
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 09:13:59 am »
Whatís the general tassie kingfish setup look like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Jetties can surprise!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 09:28:00 am »

There are others who have more experience than I, and hopefully will give you some more detail.  A couple of things I do know, though:

one: if you're trolling for them, go FAST.  Around 10 knots is optimum.  Use the same lures you might use for small tuna (skirts or bibless hard-bodies).

two: if you're casting for them, either boat-based or shore-based, you can use biggish soft plastics, or medium-sized metal lures (slices or wobbler type), or topwater lures- stick baits or poppers.  But in every case, you'll need a really FAST retrieve - so the fish don't get a chance to follow the lure and look at it (then run away!)

three: I wouldn't go lighter than about 15lbs b/s off a rod with some backbone and a reel with a good, progressive drag and fair line capacity (200metres plus).  20lbs or more might be better if there's a chance of some bigger than the 3kg-size "rats" we're getting around the south at the moment.

Rohan

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Jetties can surprise!
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 08:49:28 pm »

I have had success with the halco max 130 bibles minnow in King brown or pilchard colours they cast or troll well or a whole fresh squid head un weighted mid water

B.Marriott

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Jetties can surprise!
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 09:38:53 pm »
Thank you guys, Iíll check out the halcos.

Went a brought a new combo, itís a Daiwa BG 4000 with a 7 ft 4 Shimano Glass rod. Have spooled the reel with 30lb fireline. Hopefully it goes alright, looked into a few graphite rods however they are just too fragile for my liking. However I have kingfish in mind with this, I think it will still be a good general purpose combo and could be used for Snapper as well.

Blake

Spinner1

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
Jetties can surprise!
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 09:04:42 am »
Thank you guys, Iíll check out the halcos.

Went a brought a new combo, itís a Daiwa BG 4000 with a 7 ft 4 Shimano Glass rod. Have spooled the reel with 30lb fireline. Hopefully it goes alright, looked into a few graphite rods however they are just too fragile for my liking. However I have kingfish in mind with this, I think it will still be a good general purpose combo and could be used for Snapper as well.

Blake

I bought the same setup on Monday! Very happy with it so far, no kingies yet but its just a matter of time and patience right?!

B.Marriott

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Jetties can surprise!
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 03:45:07 pm »
Absolutely cast my heart out today around the Derwent Shoreline, made my way around from Bellerive Bluff to Lindisfarne. Not a touch.

However in my eyes it was awesome, I saw a huge bust up about 80m from the Tasman Bridge, to my surprise it was a large thrasher shark chasing salmon on the surface.

I stood there with my phone and thought I was recording which unfortunately when I looked down again I wasnít. When I finally hit record, the Shark had virtually disappeared. I do have one photo where you can just see itís tail.

Mr. Untouchable

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 153
  • Liked: 1
Jetties can surprise!
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 10:28:45 am »
Awesome work Paul. Good stuff  fish1
28 Bertram aka Sea tractor "Redskys"

Mullet

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
Jetties can surprise!
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 04:18:00 pm »
Getting a kingie is good any day but off a jetty just makes it all the more special.  Well done.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal