Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Some luck diving - Bicheno  (Read 393 times)

B.Marriott

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 93
  • Liked: 0
  • Wake up with a line in the water
  • Referrals: 0
Some luck diving - Bicheno
« on: January 07, 2019, 06:29:08 pm »
Thought Iíd get a quick report of a todayís dive sesssion.

After a tough day diving yesterday and not seeing a single cray, refreshed and armed with my buddy Will, we headed out off Bicheno again to try and find some crays.

Spent some time diving a shallow area near the end of Harvey Farm Road, not a single thing, however couldnít find any good bottom either.

Moved back towards Bicheno again and sounded out some good looking bottom. We searched around for a while and eventually found a nice sized female in a ledge. My mate missed it on his first attempt and it was sitting at the back of the ledge just out of reach. So I helped move some rocks out of the ledge so my mate Will could get into the ledge more and grab the crayfish. He got it!

Headed even in even closer towards Bicheno, found some excellent bottom with some ledges which housed quite a few crayfish. It was a little deep so I went down on the compressor while my mate Will headed in a bit shallower. Anyway I managed a nice female and buck, while Will gathered another female. I was quite impressed with his freediving ability considering it was at least 10m plus.

Hopefully the rest is explained in the photos.

I was pretty happy with my male, possibly my biggest cray ever diving, certainly for this season. It wouldíve been at least 2kg plus. Thereís a photo of my male compared to a sized female for size comparison.

Happy Days

Note: My dad caught a nice female in his pot, Iíll also add some photos of last nights cala sesh.

Blake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 71
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 07:35:32 pm »
Nice work, on both occasions.  thumbsup1

B.Marriott

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 93
  • Liked: 0
  • Wake up with a line in the water
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 04:30:45 pm »
Thanks Dan, itís been a while since we have had any luck with crays at Bicheno. Had another 3 sized crayfish in the pots his morning. Which accounted for my first ever tagged fish Iíve caught. I believe we need to report the tag ID to imas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 71
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 05:30:50 pm »
Yes mate that's correct. I believe you even get entered into a draw to win some prizes for submitting your tag info.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal