Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fave stream coming good  (Read 204 times)

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 501
  • -Receive: 451
  • Liked: 0
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
Fave stream coming good
« on: January 03, 2019, 01:44:05 pm »
After my effort last week, with catching a few fish on fly in the Little Denison, then falling in heavily, I got home to discover that the little reel on my 5-weight was bumped off-centre and the clicker simply didn't work any more.  Thankfully I had a nice voucher for the tackle shop as one of my Christmas goodies, so whizzed in yesterday, bought a new reel, and treated myself to a new double taper 5 floating line as well (since I had been using the old one for about 26 years, and it was getting pretty chatty!)

Headed up the Little D again this morning and had a ball.  Casting smooth and easy, planted a little stick fly into this pool and that, over a session of two and a half hours.  In that time I landed 8 browns, 5 rainbows, missed a couple of takes, and hooked 2 other fish that both got off.

When the weather started to heat up a bit too much I called it a day, and put the one fly I had used all morning back in the fly-box, still with plenty of life left in it for another day.

So, the river is on the improve finally.  Wild browns were of the 1-year old class, with a couple probably 2 year-olds.  Rainbows which had washed into the river from the hatchery ponds in the floods in May have been upstream to spawn and are now settling back into lies in the river - a few in the 2-3lb weight class for great sport in the thin water!

All in all, a very pleasant and rewarding morning out - and not a snake to be seen today!

A couple of pictures - the best of the brownies caught and released:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

proka

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 617
  • -Receive: 392
  • Liked: 1
  • Referrals: 19
    • Fishing Boating Tasmania