Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: a swim and a serpent  (Read 635 times)

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 516
  • -Receive: 463
  • Liked: 0
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
a swim and a serpent
« on: December 30, 2018, 06:00:18 am »
Had a nice day out on the stream on Thursday (bit of a break between festivities).  Headed up the Huon to find it well below the lowest I have ever seen before:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

There's a conical rock in the middle that stands over 2 metres high.  It barely breaks the surface in winter; it's standing proud at the moment. 

I flicked a fly around on my 5-weight, but apart from one spooked in the extreme shallows, didn't find a fish.  So on up the Little Denison.

River was in good nick.  Stealthy wading and careful casting of the fly brought 7 fish undone: four browns - this was the best of them:

and three rainbows - this was definitely the best, and headed home for the table:

BUT:  wearing my super-duper breathable waders with the big boots for the first time this season, I hit a patch of slippery bottom half-way through my session, and feet over head down into a metre of water.  Drenched!  Weather was fairly warm, so I fished the remainder of the session dripping wet, with about a kilo of water down inside each leg.  The breathables wick sweat away, but they don't release liquid water!

Then when I decided I'd had enough, and climbed out of the river, I got up the bank on my knees to come face-to-face with a beaut, shiny black tiger snake.  Big deep breath or two, then bellowed at it "F*** off!" in hope it would feel the vibrations of the sound through the ground.  It flicked its tongue at me a couple of times then turned and slid away.  Phew!

Then to top things off, I had to get starkers in the bush when I shed my wet clothes and donned the dry spares (ALWAYS in a bag in the car!) - the marsh flies had me dancing like a dervish as I got dressed again.

Never a dull moment when you head out on the stream, eh?!

Rohan

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 771
  • -Receive: 186
a swim and a serpent
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 02:26:08 pm »
Had a nice day out on the stream on Thursday (bit of a break between festivities).  Headed up the Huon to find it well below the lowest I have ever seen before:

(Attachment Link)

There's a conical rock in the middle that stands over 2 metres high.  It barely breaks the surface in winter; it's standing proud at the moment. 

(Attachment Link)

I flicked a fly around on my 5-weight, but apart from one spooked in the extreme shallows, didn't find a fish.  So on up the Little Denison.

River was in good nick.  Stealthy wading and careful casting of the fly brought 7 fish undone: four browns - this was the best of them:

(Attachment Link)

and three rainbows - this was definitely the best, and headed home for the table:

(Attachment Link)

BUT:  wearing my super-duper breathable waders with the big boots for the first time this season, I hit a patch of slippery bottom half-way through my session, and feet over head down into a metre of water.  Drenched!  Weather was fairly warm, so I fished the remainder of the session dripping wet, with about a kilo of water down inside each leg.  The breathables wick sweat away, but they don't release liquid water!

Then when I decided I'd had enough, and climbed out of the river, I got up the bank on my knees to come face-to-face with a beaut, shiny black tiger snake.  Big deep breath or two, then bellowed at it "F*** off!" in hope it would feel the vibrations of the sound through the ground.  It flicked its tongue at me a couple of times then turned and slid away.  Phew!

Then to top things off, I had to get starkers in the bush when I shed my wet clothes and donned the dry spares (ALWAYS in a bag in the car!) - the marsh flies had me dancing like a dervish as I got dressed again.

Never a dull moment when you head out on the stream, eh?!
That's a productive day out , ending up in the drink occasionally is part of trout fishing . Were you fishing wet or dry flies

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paikea

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 142
  • Referrals: 1
a swim and a serpent
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 05:33:23 pm »
Oh that is Gold!   popcorn1

Facing down a big Tiger snake has to be right up there. If that had been me there would have been more than water in my waders.  cool1

Nice fish by the way.

Cheers

Paikea
PAIKEA

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
a swim and a serpent
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 06:13:16 am »

That's a productive day out , ending up in the drink occasionally is part of trout fishing . Were you fishing wet or dry flies

Still mostly fish wets on the local streams this time of the year.  I have a fly I call a "stick worm": sort of a very thin woolly worm, with a twist of sparkle under the palmer hackle - pretty effective in size 12 or 14 longshank.  Also, can't go wrong with a little black and peacock spider: I think the fish take it either as a beetle or a water snail.

Later, cocch-y-bonddhu and similar dries will start to produce, once the tea-tree beetles and whatnot start to appear, also small winged dries like black gnat, or later again a hopper pattern - but these streams don't carry much in the way of aquatic flies, so duns and emergers really aren't part of the arsenal.

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
a swim and a serpent
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 06:17:22 am »
Oh that is Gold!   popcorn1

Facing down a big Tiger snake has to be right up there. If that had been me there would have been more than water in my waders.  cool1

Nice fish by the way.

Cheers

Paikea

Mate, the snake wasn't nearly as fearsome as the marsh flies: those buggers are HUNGRY at this stage of the season, and my bare white skin was a "restaurant open" sign!

proka

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 617
  • -Receive: 392
  • Liked: 1
  • Referrals: 19
    • Fishing Boating Tasmania
a swim and a serpent
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 09:46:22 pm »
Iíve paddled that end of the Huon and never seen it that low either. Bugger about the early bath laugh1

proka
What has 4,882km's of coastline? think1

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal