Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: strange times!  (Read 811 times)

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 514
  • -Receive: 462
  • Liked: 0
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
strange times!
« on: December 26, 2018, 03:22:06 pm »
I don't know if I believe this or not, but had to share.

A good (fishing and sailing) mate of mine a couple of days ago reported that a friend of his - a guy who has been on the sea all his life, and lives by the water at Port Cygnet - spotted southern bluefin tuna in Port Cygnet late last week.  Apparently the bay and southern Huon estuary were full of redbait at the time, and informant wondered if a big shark (or sharks, plural) could have driven said bait plus tuna up the Channel.

SBT in the Huon/ Channel?  In December?  Freaky, if it's true!

Johnsy14

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
strange times!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 03:34:39 am »
I would say this is very likely room be true, a mate of mine sent me a video of a school of bluefin around the 15-20kg mark off Lymington from 20th of December

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 514
  • -Receive: 462
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
strange times!
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 10:14:47 am »
Well I guess that is confirmation.  The report I had said Copper Alley Bay (ie, Lymington).

The idea of SBT there is mind-boggling.  They'd have come up from the southern ocean beyond south Bruny; up the lower Channel past Southport and Dover; into the Huon estuary and on up into Port Cygnet.  A long way from home!  That's a bit akin to finding them in Lindisfarne Bay or New Town Bay!

Paikea

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 141
  • Referrals: 1
strange times!
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 05:55:40 am »
You guys have all the luck. Next you will be able to catch Black Marlin from Constitution Dock and King Prawns from a fishpond in your backyard.  envy1 envy1

There is no doubt that fish movement along the East Coast is changing and Northern species are appearing further South than they ever have. And people still claim that climate change is a myth.

We live in interesting times.

Cheers

Paikea
PAIKEA

proka

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 617
  • -Receive: 392
  • Liked: 1
  • Referrals: 19
    • Fishing Boating Tasmania
strange times!
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 10:06:56 pm »
Wow thatís unreal. I know insanity chased a couple sbtís into the shallows near his shack off the bottom end of Bruny a few years back.

Donít think anyone believed it until the photos surfaced. Things are certainly changing cool1

proka
What has 4,882km's of coastline? think1

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal