Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Derwent Bream from the Yak and a bunch of annoying Salmon  (Read 320 times)

Paddlefish Tasmania

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 96
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 1
Derwent Bream from the Yak and a bunch of annoying Salmon
« on: December 10, 2018, 12:31:04 pm »
After a couple of months Hiatus I dragged the Hobie  yak1 out and hit the Derwent in pretty much perfect conditions.

Headed to my favourite spot at Lowestoft Bay to find a stink boater already raiding it so pulled up short and shot out a cast with the new Pointer Lure Project ML52D in "Coral Snake" and was fish on to a high 30s (I don't bother measuring anymore unless they're 40+ ttf) after less than a handful of throws.   Whilst I was landing and snapping pics the boater came over had a chat and then motored right through my spot  thatsenough1.   Now I'm not going to name names as to who it was but was good to meet you in person Aaron Colgrave.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Went for a bit of a Dora the explorer out to Cadburys for a bunch of Salmon then thought stuff it, lets pedal out to the middle of the River and check out that huge tree that's lodge on the channel marker.  Along the way I hooked Flathead after Flathead which were a pain to fight in the strong current. I arrived at the marker/tree to find a large flat that was only around 2 metres deep and sounded something of size which I hooked and dropped  censored1.

Headed back towards Mona as after covering over 5km I was a bit peeved to have only caught 1 Bream so far, but that quickly became 2 after landing a second right at the point closest to the caravan park.   This fish couldn't resist the DR57S - Flamethrower colour   I love this bit of water as there's a reef that protrudes out and holds plenty of Bream for both land and boat based anglers.

From here I headed to the Caravan park and despite all the recent success from the shore, didn't even get a nibble.   I did spy a shore based dude back at my first spot who caught something worthy of a measure and photo so headed over to say hey.

The Northern point of Lowestoft was indeed going off with every Salmon in the Universe there.   With the sun really starting to beat down and concerns about how little sunscreen I was wearing I decided 4.5 hours was enough and set off to troll for home stopping to catch a few more hundred salmon.

Then my outboard trolling rod, with the deep diving Coral Snake lure loaded up hard.  Grabbing it from the holder I set the hooks, then the inboard rod with the Flamethrower shallow bent double and I was left holding a bucking rod in each hand wondering what the hell do I do now with a pair of big bream going nuts behind me.

Unfortunately the fish on the first rod busted me off in the struggle, leaving me to concentrate on the second rod which held another mid 30's, hard fighting Bream, the 3rd landed for the day.

I did troll for a little longer but catching Salmon had become tiresome so I finished up.  Across the day I covered 6.5km in 5 hours which was a reminder of just how fun, but often tiring this form of fishing is.

B.Marriott

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 93
  • Liked: 0
  • Wake up with a line in the water
  • Referrals: 0
Derwent Bream from the Yak and a bunch of annoying Salmon
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 09:17:11 pm »
Sounds like an awesome trip and some great fish. Top stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk