Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Crayfish Ring?  (Read 227 times)

Paikea

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 129
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 1
Crayfish Ring?
« on: December 05, 2018, 02:57:23 pm »
Quote from a recent post:

Certainly an awesome place Nathan, I went for a Scuba Dive a couple weekends before, it’s suprising how many crayfish are just under your nose. They would require a ring as they are a fair way back, but there were 5 crays literally 10m off the shore near the break wall. Hopefully I’ll get a shot at them once the season is open.

OK, I give up , what is a ring and how do you use it.

Gotta love this site, always something new to learn!

Paikea
PAIKEA

Dan

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 66
  • Liked: 1
  • Referrals: 0

Paikea

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 129
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 1
Crayfish Ring?
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 05:17:51 pm »
Thank you Dan, I would never have guessed that.

BTW, are you allowed to use a small gaff to drag crays from their holes. In the early 1960's a mate of mine wired a large hook to a Rangoon cane handle that was about 4 ft long (an off-cut from a beach rod that he was building).

We dived on Voodoo reef at Kurnell where there was a cave that was less than 1M high that we could just fit into with very long broad leaf weed growing on the rock above the cave entry. We would wait for the wave action to sweep the weed back from the opening, dive down and enter the cave up to our waist where we could turn and see crays in a narrow ledge at the back of the cave. By this time the weed would be swept back over the entrance so that we had to wait until the weed went back again to see before trying to grab a cray. Getting them by hand proved very difficult so my mate used the "gaff" to hook a cray out, grab it and then wait for the weed to sweep back, then back out of the cave before we could surface.

Sounds illegal doesn't? And a little reckless.

Very fit in our diving days, could hold our breath over 4 minutes and actually did a 100 FT free dive (on a sunken Japanese wreck from WW II) in Bougainville New Guinea in 1969. Only once, that was enough.

Cheers

Paikea

PAIKEA

proka

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 613
  • -Receive: 384
  • Liked: 1
  • Referrals: 19
    • Fishing Boating Tasmania
Crayfish Ring?
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 10:28:57 pm »
Hey Paikea

Only allowed to take crays by hand in Tassie whilst diving. Big fines if you’re caught spearing, using some baits and using looses. Think they’re legal in NZ think1

And yes you sounded very fit in you’re younger days thumpsup1 I like the constant flow of fresh air chugging along at about 120psi now.

I remember our early days cray diving. We’d be knees deep into a hole with tanks off trying to grab the big one at the back. Thank god we’ve grown up pray1

We’re keen to get an evening ringing in up the coast but there always seems to be a little problem arise drinks1 drinks1 embaress1

proka
What has 4,882km's of coastline? think1

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal