Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shark attacks  (Read 145 times)

Paikea

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 129
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 1
Shark attacks
« on: December 05, 2018, 09:14:18 am »
Just got back from week visiting the kids in Bangalow near Byron Bay and four days in Caloundra, Queensland.

The one thing that stood out was the reduced number of people swimming in the ocean at both locations and those who di were not venturing too far out.

There is no doubt that the spate of mainland shark attacks in recent times is making people wary.

Question? Has there been any increase in shark sightings is Tassie? Any attacks?  envy1

There has been much talk about the reason for the increased numbers ranging from an increase in big bait schools near shore to stopping shark netting near some beaches.

As usual, there are those who say the sharks don't come on our land so why complain when we go in their water and get eaten.

I guess it comes back to the old adage "the seriousness of a problem is always inversely proportional to one's proximity to it"     shark1 shark1 shark1

Cheers

Paikea
PAIKEA

Paddlefish Tasmania

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 96
Shark attacks
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 09:59:05 am »
I still surf and snorkel a couple of times a year and in my 25+ years of doing so have never seen a single shark, though I'm sure they've seen me.

There's been sightings at Clifton the same day as I've been in the water, and I have a cool story bro about the time I stepped on something getting back on my board but it'll never keep me out of the water.

B.Marriott

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 85
  • Wake up with a line in the water
  • Referrals: 0
Shark attacks
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 01:43:57 pm »
It would be best to ask someone who dives professionally, I imagine they would’ve seen some in their time. I suppose it’s just a small risk you take to have some fun. When we go scallop diving, it does feel a little eerie under the water especially without any cover but you’ve just gotta think you’re on the bottom for about 20 minutes and then back up, probably do that 4 or 5 times a year, it’s a very short amount of time compared to commercial divers.

I am however sorta waiting for the time until I see a seven giller while diving, as I dive the Derwent a fair bit and they are pretty common there. Some were seen on the surface a couple weekends ago around a school of salmon. They’re meant to be harmless to humans but they still have teeth ahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mahimahi

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 17
Shark attacks
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 05:59:55 pm »
Hi all, much higher risk having an a motor vehicle accident than being attacked by a shark.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal