Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Last time, dear (I promise!)  (Read 217 times)

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 458
  • -Receive: 410
  • Liked: 0
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
Last time, dear (I promise!)
« on: November 04, 2018, 01:16:27 pm »
Earlier this year I posted a report of my new little dinghy, intended for fly-fishing the smaller lakes.  This was the boat in question:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

A nice enough, sturdy little thing, eight foot six long, and quite beamy.  Went upside-down on a box trailer.  Worked well enough.  BUT I have arthritis in both shoulders; heaving the little thing on and off the trailer was a challenge.  Couldn't find a used small boat trailer to suit (and couldn't afford a new one!), so it was back to the drawing-board.

A couple of weeks ago I finally found an ad for a 10 foot Purdon dinghy, on a registered trailer.  At a VERY reasonable price.  Couldn't resist it:

A previous owner had reinforced the transom.  The main rowlock blocks were a bit chewed-out, so I filled and re-shaped them and fitted new rowlock plates.  The trailer winch had died, so I fitted a new one - and modified the bow eyes on the dinghy to take the winch strap as well as a painter attached separately.  Added a raised centre thwart, and an old seat cushion I had on the other little dinghy.  Swapped the new oars into the new boat, added a couple of rod holders, and took it for a row.

She's stable, probably a bit more suitable size for my 6'4" frame, and of course with her own trailer is a cinch to launch and retrieve.  Rows like a dream.  I dithered up and down the Huon from the esplanade ramp and caught a small sea-run trout just above the Huonville bridge.  Little boat did all I wanted of it. 

Finally sorted; advertised the other little dinghy on Gumtree and sold it within 24 hrs for a wee bit more than it had cost me, so all good there.

My wife peered over her glasses at me and said: "What; ANOTHER one?!"  But in the end even she could accept that it made sense.  But I have promised that will be the last, at least for the foreseeable future!

Paikea

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 128
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 01:55:54 pm »
OMG, that sounds so much like me. There is always a better boat just around the corner that we just have to have.

It looks the goods, love the small keel, no wonder it rows well.

Cheers.

Hank

(Paikea)
PAIKEA

Dan

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 62
  • Liked: 1
  • Referrals: 0