Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Huon estuary improving  (Read 313 times)

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 472
  • -Receive: 419
  • Liked: 0
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
Huon estuary improving
« on: October 10, 2018, 10:32:25 am »
Monday morning I went out early to check out how the lower Huon estuary is faring.  Launched at Charlotte Cove - a LOT of weed on the ramp, but still OK at higher tide levels.  Water temp here around 12 deg.  Day was quite overcast but fairly mild with not much breeze.  The water was nice and clear and clean; plenty of salt, no tannin, and bottom clearly visible in 3 metres.

The lower Huon estuary, as per the following photo, gives various opportunities for fishing: (click on the image to enlarge it)

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Verona Sands, together with Huon Island (both just out of frame on the left); the Butts Reef, between Huon Island and Randall's Bay; around Garden Island; Randall's Bay itself; Flathead Cove (right side of pic, underneath where I have written "Dover") are all worth trying, for a variety of fish.  I have caught flathead, snook, Aus salmon, 'couta, calamari, escaped Atlantics, occasional bream, trumpeter and small dory at various times, plus raised (but not caught) kingfish.

The area has been pretty quiet the past couple of seasons, since an absolute plague of juvenile 'couta appeared 2014-15.  However, I'm happy to say that this week I found good Aus salmon, an occasional keeper size couta, and plenty of flathead in various locations.  Flatties were abundant; I had 15 good keepers, and 20 or so returned (most in the 29/30/31cm range) for a couple of hours' effort.

Terrific morning's fishing from 7am to 10.30, when I packed up well satisfied and had the boat home, flushed, fish and gear cleaned and packed away all before lunch.

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2207
  • -Receive: 882
  • Liked: 7
  • Referrals: 2
Huon estuary improving
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 11:36:02 am »
Nice to see you managed to go home with a few decent feeds Paul.. pretty good few hours on the water.  thumbsup1

cheers
Adrian
'' Mepps Spin Fishing Guru"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal