Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tailor, Salmon and Mullet in the Derwent  (Read 145 times)

Paddlefish Tasmania

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 89
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 0
Tailor, Salmon and Mullet in the Derwent
« on: October 09, 2018, 10:18:31 am »
Surprisingly the kids actually wanted to go fishing on the weekend and with such glorious weather in Hobart it only took me a minute to load up the rods and head down the Derwent.

I'd heard that there were plenty of Salmon getting about so didn't think it would be too hard to get the kids onto a couple.  Secretly I was hoping to also jag a land based bream.

We made the short walk to the rocks out the front of Mona and threw some lures for an hour, although the fishing was quiet the kids loved watching the huge school of mullet feeding right on the shore.  we also had a small trout chase our lures for a while before I finally managed a reasonable tailor.

The next morning the kids were keen again so we headed back to the same spot, this time with a loaf of bread to have some fun with the mullet.   whilst berleying them up we landed a nice little salmon which, like the tailor the day before, the kids insisted we keep.

The mullet certainly kept the kids entertained attacking their bread baits and proving difficult to hook but we managed a couple. 

I was stoked to share my passion with my kids and they certainly applied themselves casting and retrieving like pro's.   the only problem now is they all want to use my tournament gear next time.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal