Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tyenna donut  (Read 600 times)

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 540
  • -Receive: 476
  • Liked: 0
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
Tyenna donut
« on: September 18, 2018, 07:08:25 pm »
After half a dozen excursions this season to my local (Huon valley) streams for a few fish but nothing startling, I decided I needed a session on some more reliable productive water.  Took off at sparow's fart for a session on the Tyenna - an hour and a half drive from home.

When I arrived, I found the river running high, fast, brown and COLD:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Fished through a couple of different sections over a total of 3 hours, using various SPs and the occasional Rapala. Result: Nothing; nada; nilch; zilch; blank.  Call it what you will, I had no sight or sign of a fish.

Then faced an hour and a half drive home again.  Must say, donuts from the Derwent Valley are no more palatable than donuts from the Huon Valley.  laugh1

Still waiting for the snow melt to subside, the equinoxial winds to die down (my wife knew someone who called them "equinoxious" - dead right!) and the streams to start feeding fish instead of freaking them out.  Maybe there'll be a sea-runner or two in the middle Huon in the next few weeks.  But the small streams at the moment are PHOOEY!

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2297
  • -Receive: 921
  • Liked: 7
  • Referrals: 2
Tyenna donut
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 07:47:42 pm »
They're not any better up here either at the moment Paul... the river that Clint took a dive in was running very high at 1.68 mtrs at the time he fished it.. It's a river I've fished for many years early season too but not so far this one due to the high fast water.. I fish it when it's at 70 cms and lower, it has a very rocky slippery river bottom that is unstable under foot.. It also has been hit hard with cormorants over the past couple of years too so the fish are few & far between now days.. gonefishing1

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDT60151.html

cheers
Adrian
Tackle Tactics, Mepps, Okuma & Platypus lines Pro Team Member..

Paddlefish Tasmania

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 97
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 1
Tyenna donut
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 09:29:18 am »
Looks like it had a bit on up there.   Whilst you can catch a fish when it's that high I generally avoid it until Summer, when the number of anglers exceeds the number of fish.

I do know that there's been plenty of good fish caught recently though, particularly above National Park with Rainbows being the fish of choice.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal