Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Any suggestions for winter fishing?  (Read 937 times)

quit85

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 0
Any suggestions for winter fishing?
« on: July 14, 2018, 05:16:19 pm »
Hello. This is my first post and would like to say hi to everyone.
Im new to fishing and me and my wife would love to know any places near hobart to go fishing? I know winter times arent that great for fishing but any information will be helpful. Would love to go fishing since we started to love starting fishing recently and cant forget the taste of fishing somethng. Thanks and hope someone can give me a hand with this!  anyone1

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2219
  • -Receive: 886
  • Liked: 7
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 05:46:25 pm »
Welcome to the site, I live in the North of the state but there's plenty of fisho's in the South which I'm sure will give you a few tips on where to wet a line & hopefully catch a feed of fish.. fish1

cheers
Adrian
''Brand ambassador for Mepps Lures through Tackle Tactics."

quit85

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 09:48:18 pm »
Could you be more precise like whereabout in the South? Jetties or beaches? Since I dont have a boat hahaha

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 480
  • -Receive: 434
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 07:34:58 am »
Gooday, quit85, and welcome to FBT!  welcome1

New to fishing?  Hmmm... It's been a while since I last fished the salt from shore, but there are a few spots that can be fun in winter.

The eastern side of Derwent - from around the Bowen bridge down through to Rosny Point - can often yield decent bream this time of year (great sport, but DON"T EAT THEM!).  Also the odd flathead, cod, mullet, cocky salmon, occasional sea-run trout. There are several access points where you can fish off a rocky point - concentrate on the side of the point where the current curls around and slows down: that's where the foodstuff collects.  Spin with a soft plastic or a small hard-bodied lure, or drop a line with a bait prawn or bit of blue bait

Further south, South Arm and the "Pigeon Holes" between there and Opossum Bay can yield good catches in the right conditions. or alternatively, fish the narrow channel at Cremorne where Pipeclay Lagoon flows through: spin with a silver wobbler; there can be good Australian salmon there.  Same goes for the narrows at Marion Bay if you want to drive (and walk) a bit further distance and have a nice day out in the winter sunshine.

South of Hobart, the wharf at Margate can be fun.  You'll be competing with a few others, but if you take a little berley - eg, breadcrumbs or chook pellets soaked in tuna oil - and feed a fine trickle down under the spot where you're fishing, you can take some fish where others miss out. Other jetties in the general area can also fire on the right day: the boat ramp jetty at Dru Point (Margate) at high tide; the jetty at Woodbridge, etc..

If you fancy a sea-run trout, head down to Port Huon: the mouth of the Esperance River, where it is tidal (ie, below the weir) doesn't need an inland fisheries licence, and can give up surprisingly big fish over the next couple of months.  Spin fishing with soft plastics or hard-body lures is the go.  Be prepared to cast and retrieve a lot, for not much return - but if a decent trout (or an escaped Atlantic salmon) does pick it up, it will make your day! Alternatively, the "usual suspects" (flatties, cocky salmon, pike, mullet, etc) can be had off the yacht club jetty at the Shipwright's Point regatta/camp ground.

Hope this gives you a bit of a start.  Then beyond that, check the maps, and go and explore.  Take lunch, a hot drink, and make a day out.  I introduced my wife to the joys of fishing 18 years ago, and we've had so many great days out together since - and not always caught a fish.  I hope you and your wife do the same!

quit85

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 11:52:06 am »
Ho Reddory,

Thanks for the detailed information. Kind of you. You dont know how useful that information will that to me. I know its quite cold and catching a fish is like null but I will give it a try.
I will try the Bowen bridge to see if I can catch something. I heard about Mcgee bridge also. Is that a good place also to catch fishes?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 02:29:48 pm by quit85 »

Paddlefish Tasmania

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 96
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 10:03:18 am »
I will try the Bowen bridge to see if I can catch something. I heard about Mcgee bridge also. Is that a good place also to catch fishes?

Bowen Bridge on either Side, including both the Northern and Eastern shore are good for Bream but you wont expect much, or anything in Winter as its more of a summer fishery.  You may come across the odd Trouth though.  McGee's Bridge is really hit an miss and I rarely find it worth the effort.

My advice in order of fishing would be -

1.  Browns River - Fantastic Winter Bream fishery, particularly after rain.  Easy to catch 20+ when its firing like it did this weekend.  Bait works well, so go for a humble prawn or even a live crab.  Soft Plastics also work well fished light an deep.  The Bream are currently in the lower reaches below the bridge and on the flats just past them so easy to catch shore based.

2.  Bellerive Bluff - Easy to access spot for Flathead and Sand Whiting, plus the odd by catch like wrasse, salmon and pike.  Again bait or soft plastics will catch fish.

3.  Seven Mile Beach rocks Southern (Roches Beach) end.  short walk around to the rocks you will find flathead and Sand Whiting.  You'll need to be able to cast a reasonable distance and fish light.  Pippi's and sand worms are the best baits and best of all you can keep a feed from here.  Under rated winter fishery.

quit85

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 11:46:54 pm »
Thanks for your kind reply. Would try Brown river but I had a tricky question, so browns river meets dalt water so do I need a license to fish over there? Thanks

Paddlefish Tasmania

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 09:32:10 am »
Thanks for your kind reply. Would try Brown river but I had a tricky question, so browns river meets dalt water so do I need a license to fish over there? Thanks

No Licence needed for Browns River

quit85

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 02:01:43 am »
Thanks! Anyone reckon good fishing on August for freshwater for trouts or salmon? Thanks?

Paddlefish Tasmania

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 08:35:58 am »
Thanks! Anyone reckon good fishing on August for freshwater for trouts or salmon? Thanks?

Trout, both resident, stocked and Sea-Run will all be active now and through the start of the season if you can brave the cold.  Keep an eye on the IFS website for stocking information particularly at Craigbourne Dam which has fantastic shore based access.

Otherwise if you're up for a trek Great Lake has been known to provide good captures from the shore as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal