Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: inshore flatties good to go  (Read 793 times)

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 514
  • -Receive: 462
  • Liked: 0
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
inshore flatties good to go
« on: June 15, 2018, 04:32:59 pm »
The last few times I've been out, I have been heartened to see the incredible number of flathead that are coming over the side, in a variety of inshore locations.  N W Bay, the Channel (out from Trial Bay), Port Esperance, and yesterday I had a session in Port Cygnet where they were just non-stop.  OK, most are still undersize, but the sheer numbers are very encouraging and bode well for the next summer or two at least - a big improvement on the lean times we've had the past few years!

An intriguing aside, I have also for the first time ever been picking up small octopus on my SPs while bottom bouncing for flatties.  Again, N W Bay, the Channel, and Port Cygnet have all yielded a few.  Never had it happen before.  Are there suddenly a LOT of juvenile occies about?  Anyone else noticed it?

mahimahi

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 18
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 10:04:18 am »
Flathead population also very healthy in FHB.

Had a good session on the flatchaps again earlier this week in FHB, managed 16 keepers with a few crackers amongst those. Was also catching fish of all different sizes and the bite was continuous. Found that the Berkley 5" Jerkshad soft plastics work well (white seems to be the best colour) in attracting the bigger flatchaps.

Was certainly a good move to have increased the legal size to 32cm (been in place since nov 1st 2015). Basically, this allows the females to spawn for another year and increases the return from fish taken www.theadvocate.com.au/story/3423731/tasmania-to-increase-legal-size-for-catching-flathead/

The bag limit is still generous (20) however perhaps this should be reduced to 15 to further increase stocks. 

I've also caught the odd small octopus over the years bottom bouncing in the channel running through to NWB however sounds like their numbers have increased somewhat. Tasty little critters they are  envy1

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 04:25:18 pm »
Great to hear the flathead are building numbers in other places (other than those I regularly fish).  I agree the move to lift the size limit has had some positive outcome - although I don't believe that's the only factor at work in their resurgence; I suspect there are cycles of lean years and prolific ones regardless.  Interesting to consider: the past few years where the flathead have been thin on the ground inshore, coincided with a period when the juvenile 'couta were in plague numbers.  This year, I've hardly seen one.

Unfortunately the occies are not sticking on the hook.  They grab the SP, and can be reeled up to the surface, but then they go through this amazing contortion where they work their tentacles to remove the bait from their beak and pass it all the way up to the tip of the tentacles in an undulating motion, and simply let go at the end, before I can lift them from the water.  Brilliant to watch, but frustrating if I really wanted to grab a few for a feed!

Spinksy

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 08:52:56 pm »
Hi all,

We got a nice feed of flatties and calamari last weekend in Spring Bay, all in the shallower margins. Threw plenty back, and the water was so clear, you could watch them cruising over and picking up the plastics.  Some decent patches of calamari still about as well. So we picked up a half dozen of those before heading in.

I must admit I didnt expect the fish to be still about in such good numbers. The three youngsters we had aboard, aged 4,6 and 7 had a great time. Back to the shack, a coating of egg and breadcrumbs and it was smiles all round!

Who says you need to put the rods away over winter, you just need a decent bit of weather, and its worth a shot!

Cheers

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 03:14:35 pm »
Calamari as well - that's interesting.

I've never subscribed to the "put the rods away in winter" idea.  In fact, some of the most enjoyable fishing I've had would be in the middle of winter - when there's hardly anyone else about to compete for spots, or queue on the ramp.  The past few years I've celebrated the winter solstice by going fishing, and will do so again this week (though looking at the weather forecast, it might be better Wednesday than Thursday).

Plus, it might just be fancy, but I reckon flatties and Aus salmon, bream, and even pike/snook, etc, are just that much firmer and more tasty from cooler water.

Barchy

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 52
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 04:25:15 pm »
The wife and I are still getting out off St Helens approx 1 day per week, and still picking up a very good feed of flathead. 
Take it Easy, Barchy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal