Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: hundreds watching, none talking  (Read 607 times)

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 521
  • -Receive: 469
  • Liked: 0
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
hundreds watching, none talking
« on: June 11, 2018, 11:04:51 am »
Hi all

I took my little dinghy out this morning to see how it goes with new, longer oars.  Launched at the Huonville esplanade ramp early, rowed quietly upstream against a bit of current and small breeze, took two small trout about 28 cm each (and returned them), confirmed the little vessel will now be ideal for sneaking up on fish around the lakes, then back to the ramp, on to the trailer and home.

When I tuned in to FBT, I checked the "who's on board" stats at the bottom of the page to find about 100 "guests" and 16 members are all on line at the moment.  And yet, not a single new post to be seen.  Now, I don't mind that people tune in for a read, but don't always have anything to say - but this IS supposed to be a FORUM, right?  And that tends to mean it's a place for users to EXCHANGE information, opinions etc.

Surely some of you out there have been fishing recently, and could do a little report; or you might have an opinion on a topic someone else has raised; or you might just want to get some bile off your liver about fishing and boating-related topics - fisheries management, boat safety, the weather....

It would be really great to hear from you.  If you're a member, speak up.  If you're not a member, join up - and then speak up.  Please!

proka

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 617
  • -Receive: 392
  • Liked: 1
  • Referrals: 19
    • Fishing Boating Tasmania
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 05:56:38 pm »
Well said RD thumbsup1

You ever thought of an electric for the sneaky stuff think1 Only say that cause Im a bit lazy myself embaress1 laugh1

proka
What has 4,882km's of coastline? think1

Paikea

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 142
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 07:15:10 am »
What was that famous quote from "Wind in the Willows"?

"There is nothing quite as good as mucking about in boats"   yak1 yak1

Wish that I could think of the exact words and which character from that famous book said it, but you get the drift. Anyway I am sure that you would know it Paul.

There is something very therapeutic about rowing, some of my best and most enduring memories are of rowing a 16 foot clinker boat with long Oregon oars in company of two of my 14 YO mates and the boats owner who used to take us kids fishing for Bream on the flats at night. Learnt how to row without making a splash and both oars dipping in at the same time. Roll back the wrists to feather the blades and gently start the next stroke. Bloody poetry in motion.

Stood me in good stead when I joined the local surf club and rowed surfboats for a few years. On that point we were in Ulladulla over the long weekend and talked to a surf club guy selling raffle tickets. He told me that the referee at surf carnivals will cancel the boat races if the waves are higher than 1.2 m? Surely not! Part of the fun was catching the biggest wave that you could, ship the oars, move up the back of the boat to help the sweep and enjoy the ride. If perchance the boat rolled or went sideways that was all part of the thrill. What are we doing by mollycoddling the crews by limiting the size of wave that they can catch?

Anyway, enough of memories, as every oldie knows "the older I get the better I was" or something like that. laugh1 laugh1

Cheers all

Paikea
PAIKEA

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 521
  • -Receive: 469
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 09:37:49 am »
It was Water Rat: "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.

Dead right!

Paikea

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 142
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 10:23:27 pm »
I love the way that we always get answers on this site. goodjob1

Thanks Paul for jogging my memory.