Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Nice days, mixed results  (Read 595 times)

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 480
  • -Receive: 434
  • Liked: 0
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
Nice days, mixed results
« on: June 06, 2018, 03:02:14 pm »
A bit of a "combination" report of three recent trips out:

Last Thursday, headed out of Trial Bay with the boat; fished SPs down the Channel as far as Woodbridge and across to Bruny.  Water temp 11.5 deg C, only slight breeze, tide gradually rising. Plenty of SMALL flathead about, and managed half a dozen keepers for a feed.  Nothing else of note.

Yesterday, went to Dover; sidled back into the head of the bay, around the Esperance narrows. Water temp 10.5 deg; no breeze, tide just past dead low. Found a few Aus salmon but they were very shy: kept one about a kilo, released a few other smaller units.  Fished SPs in the shallows, and again managed half a dozen keeper flatties from among a load of littl'uns.  Was delighted at one stage to hear a lot of splashing and boofing, and to see a pod of around 8-10 small dolphins heading up into the Esperance river, chasing salmon as they went.  A couple dived right through under the boat in barely a metre of water - exciting!

This morning I figured I better go join the crowds at McGee's bridge.  No-one else around when I arrived right on dawn; fished myself to a standstill off the rocks at the eastern end: nearly 5 hours with various lures and didn't touch a fish!  Neither did any of the others who came and went there.  There were hordes up on the bridge by mid-morning, and a steady trickle of fish landed, but you needed to be with a mate so you could walk the hooked fish along to the end of the bridge, where mate would scramble down the bank and net it for you.  They seemed in good nick, and around 2-4kilos, but there were also a lot of people trying in vain for every one individual who managed to fluke one.  A chap fishing near me at one stage said he had been there yesterday and caught a few, but one guy had landed so many that he couldn't physically drag them back to his car.  Another case of "shoulda been here yesterday", I guess!

Paikea

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 46
  • -Receive: 134
  • Referrals: 1
Nice days, mixed results
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 06:18:54 pm »
Hi Paul  nicethread1

Sounds like you are having a relaxing time of it. I like the descriptions of your trips, very informative and a good example for others to follow.

I am still up to my neck in the job that I was involved with when I saw you in Tassie. No chance to go fishing and the boat is still parked in the street without moving.

You may not know that our stupid State government introduced legislation where local Councils can tow away boats and fine the  boat owners who park their boats on the street beyond 28 days.

So I am getting worried that some neighbour will dob me in and I will cop a fine etc. Touching a man's most prized possession is surely cause for the masses to rise and arrange a revolution  methinks!   fustrated1 fustrated1 fustrated1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1

Cheers

Hank (Paikea)
PAIKEA

Rohan

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 743
  • -Receive: 180
Nice days, mixed results
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 08:44:06 pm »
A bit of a "combination" report of three recent trips out:

Last Thursday, headed out of Trial Bay with the boat; fished SPs down the Channel as far as Woodbridge and across to Bruny.  Water temp 11.5 deg C, only slight breeze, tide gradually rising. Plenty of SMALL flathead about, and managed half a dozen keepers for a feed.  Nothing else of note.

Yesterday, went to Dover; sidled back into the head of the bay, around the Esperance narrows. Water temp 10.5 deg; no breeze, tide just past dead low. Found a few Aus salmon but they were very shy: kept one about a kilo, released a few other smaller units.  Fished SPs in the shallows, and again managed half a dozen keeper flatties from among a load of littl'uns.  Was delighted at one stage to hear a lot of splashing and boofing, and to see a pod of around 8-10 small dolphins heading up into the Esperance river, chasing salmon as they went.  A couple dived right through under the boat in barely a metre of water - exciting!

This morning I figured I better go join the crowds at McGee's bridge.  No-one else around when I arrived right on dawn; fished myself to a standstill off the rocks at the eastern end: nearly 5 hours with various lures and didn't touch a fish!  Neither did any of the others who came and went there.  There were hordes up on the bridge by mid-morning, and a steady trickle of fish landed, but you needed to be with a mate so you could walk the hooked fish along to the end of the bridge, where mate would scramble down the bank and net it for you.  They seemed in good nick, and around 2-4kilos, but there were also a lot of people trying in vain for every one individual who managed to fluke one.  A chap fishing near me at one stage said he had been there yesterday and caught a few, but one guy had landed so many that he couldn't physically drag them back to his car.  Another case of "shoulda been here yesterday", I guess!
I know people that chase stocked Atlantic salmon do well on a black and gold t tail plastic don't know how they would work on escapees

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Nice days, mixed results
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 08:05:45 am »
I've been chasing escapee salmon in various environments for the past 30 years; and have pretty much come to the conclusion that so long as you can put something right on their nose that's a bit flashy, with an enticing action (ie, plenty of "wriggle"), they'll have a snap at it.  It matters not what kind of lure it is; if it's in the zone, they'll hit it; if not, forget it!

Ordinary wobblers like Wonders, Pegrons, Mr Twistys etc work; Rapalas (7cm or 9cm) work; various soft plastics with waggling tails work.  Silver colours are best in low light, more gold (brass) better when the sun's on the water.

My lack of success yesterday was simply about my lures not "finding" a fish.  Little wonder - I later discovered they were all holed up in a very narrow band mid-way along the bridge, hugging the bottom in barely 3-4 feet of water.

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Nice days, mixed results
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 08:12:57 am »

You may not know that our stupid State government introduced legislation where local Councils can tow away boats and fine the  boat owners who park their boats on the street beyond 28 days.

So I am getting worried that some neighbour will dob me in and I will cop a fine etc. Touching a man's most prized possession is surely cause for the masses to rise and arrange a revolution  methinks!   fustrated1 fustrated1 fustrated1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1

Cheers

Hank (Paikea)

'Struth mate: I'd be really dark on any bugger - council-ordered or not - who towed my boat away.  How would that be possible without damaging it - cutting the anti-theft device off the tow hitch, and/or bashing the leg/prop because they couldn't tilt the motor up, or whatever?  What if you stuck the boat in your driveway and left the car on the street: would they tow that away?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal