Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Luderick around Hobart  (Read 820 times)

stevo

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 0
Luderick around Hobart
« on: June 02, 2018, 07:51:42 pm »
Hi.
Keen to chase some Luderick,
Would appreciate any info on spots around Hobart /Kingston areas,thanks.

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 516
  • -Receive: 463
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
Luderick around Hobart
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 07:11:50 am »
Good luck with that, Stevo.  If you catch one anywhere south of St Helens, the boffins at Redmap would love to hear about it!

budgie

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Luderick around Hobart
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 07:19:40 pm »
I have been catching luderick off Carlton Bluff and Spectacle Island for at least 20 years

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 516
  • -Receive: 463
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
Luderick around Hobart
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 08:04:13 am »
I have been catching luderick off Carlton Bluff and Spectacle Island for at least 20 years

Really?  That would definitely be of interest to the Redmap team.  Redmap is a web-based resource run by IMAS (the Institute for Marine and Antarctic Studies).  It collects "information that everyday people can contribute - particularly fishers, divers and boaters - to help record and track potential changes in the distribution of marine species."

According to Redmap, the normal known range for luderick includes Tasmania's north coast and upper east coast; however, they ask that you please report it if you sight it anywhere south of St Helens.  There are only 5 Tasmanian sightings of luderick reported on the site to date, and only three appear to be in the south.  So, next time you catch one, why not take a pic, log on to Redmap, and give them the details?

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2263
  • -Receive: 907
  • Liked: 7
  • Referrals: 2
Luderick around Hobart
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 02:00:05 pm »
That's interesting catching so many of them. sure they're Luderick & not Zebra fish as they are very similar to look at and are regularly mistaken for Luderick..
A Zebra fish has 9 wide stripes where as the Luderick had around 11 thin stripes.. both are good eating & great fighting fish too, caught heaps of the Zebra fish when I used to rock fish in Sth Aust..
a photo of one of your catches would be worth checking out..As reddory said Redmap would be very interested in a report of your catches too..

cheers
Adrian

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Zebra fish..
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Luderick..
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 02:04:54 pm by meppstas »
Tackle Tactics & Okuma Pro Team Member..

Spinksy

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 15
Luderick around Hobart
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 03:08:55 pm »
Hi All,

I recall coming face to face with some thumping specimens of these at Coles Bay a few years ago. In amongst the weedy sections, whilst I was looking for an ab or two.

So they certainly exist!

Spinksy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal